Chinese Scholar's Rock (Sculpture)

FoldedFrog

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This past week I thought I would try sculpting something akin to Chinese Scholar's rock. "What's that have to do with bonsai?" you ask. Well other than the beginnings of a 1500 year history, I thought that some larger scale rocks would make some very interesting - if somewhat abstract - plantings. I tried to make this one resemble granite. I have ordered a block of Rosewood to make a base for it. I'm not sure Mr Bo knows what to think. He seems to be keeping his distance.

DSC_1002.JPG

DSC_1003.JPG

DSC_1010.JPG

DSC_1006.JPG

Finally, he's warming up!
DSC_1000.JPG DSC_1002.JPG DSC_1003.JPG DSC_1010.JPG DSC_1006.JPG DSC_1000.JPG

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They are amazing, I still can't believe you hand sculpt these! Do you use examples to go off of or do you free hand these? They look so real especially with the white band going through them.

Awesome!

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just looked at your avatar, did you sculpt the head used in the root over rock?

FoldedFrog

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you, cbroad. I go through, literally, thousands of photos. The main things I try to note are the commonalities in the chaos. The veins of quartzite are a good example for granite. I also study the formation of the various types of rock. Many of the scholar's rocks are formed by water as well as other materials that made their way in the rock often while it was molten. Then, when the material went away (dissolved or decayed or the water dried up) the interesting shapes, holes, and wrinkles are left. I use many different kinds of tools to try and replicate the shape. I honestly don't have the full picture in my mind when I start. As the process takes place, it is like it's half me and half the material taking form that yields the finished product. :)

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes. I call him Boogerhead! He is not concrete but true granite - talk about hard to sculpt! Don't think I'll do real granite again!
View attachment 117571
I would love to see some pics of how this was created, maybe the whole tree, pot, planting? How old is this planting?

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like what you did with him :D I love the perspective shot too, looks like you just stumbled upon him in the forest!

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
one more...
Sorry for the quality - I took it with my IPhone a few minutes ago.

View attachment 117578
VERY NICE!
Absolutely amazing work!
All with a Dremel? You have definetly got some time in this. This took a great level of patience, determination and hard work. I am thoroughly impressed!
LOVE IT!

FoldedFrog

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
VERY NICE!
Absolutely amazing work!
All with a Dremel? You have definetly got some time in this. This took a great level of patience, determination and hard work. I am thoroughly impressed!
LOVE IT!

Thank you so much. Dremel, hand grinder and a couple of chisels.

FoldedFrog

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I hope that you used Stone Mountain granite. Or even better, Arabia Mountain granite.

Wow! You're not a slow learner at all. I'm impressed with your Georgia knowledge! It is absolutely Stone Mountain AND Arabia Mountain granite. The granite shelf is massive. I actually got the stone from my back yard. The same shelf moves southeast through Coweta county where I live.

Top Bottom