chinese sweet plumb

sbaddy

Seedling
Reaction score
I live in Manchester and have a chinese sweet plumb. I have been keeping it outside however with the winter coming will it be ok outside or should I bring it inside. In the past when I brought it inside it tended to lose leaves.
What do people think

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
It will do better if you can keep it in a unseated green house or garage. If you have a good indoor growing set up with good lighting then keeping it indoor is a good idea too. This is a a subtropical species and in the southern part of China, it grows all year round. In area that is slightly northern where I am from, it drops leaves and go dormant in winter. The temperature does drop below freezing for 2-3 weeks and the ones growing in ground do just fine. However, we kept the ones in pots under cover either in greenhouse or cover them with clear plastic sheets during the coldest weeks. Some growers buried them in ground and covered them with straw.

sbaddy

Seedling
Reaction score
How do I stop leaves falling off please. I am worried about the central heating
It will do better if you can keep it in a unseated green house or garage. If you have a good indoor growing set up with good lighting then keeping it indoor is a good idea too. This is a a subtropical species and in the southern part of China, it grows all year round. In area that is slightly northern where I am from, it drops leaves and go dormant in winter. The temperature does drop below freezing for 2-3 weeks and the ones growing in ground do just fine. However, we kept the ones in pots under cover either in greenhouse or cover them with clear plastic sheets during the coldest weeks. Some growers buried them in ground and covered them with straw.
I will probably just keep it outside and insulate it then. Do you think a Fuiken tree would be ok outside as well over the winter

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I will probably just keep it outside and insulate it then. Do you think a Fuiken tree would be ok outside as well over the winter
No. Temps below freezing will kill both CSP and FT. They will need more protection than mulched in outside in your area, I suspect.

If you’re truly getting into bonsai, you should start by working with trees that do well in your neighborhood, so they can survive outside all year long. Keeping trees healthy is critical to bonsai work, and it adds a degree of difficulty when you’re fighting zone differences too.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

The link you were directed to very clearly states:
In winter the tree must be placed in the house or a heated
conservatory at temperatures between 53° F / 12° C and 72° F / 22° C.

I don't believe those temperatures are common thru the winters in Manchester
nor do I believe that some "insulation" will maintain them either. However, it is
your tree and if you want to kill it it is on you.
Perhaps you should see if you could board it at one of the local hothouses. Some
growers will rent you a small space to place a pot for a reasonable price if approached properly.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B

Sorry I wasn’t clear. When I said in the norther part I mean slightly north where snow is a rare occasion. The coldest it gets is usually -5C and only a couple of days a year. The rest of the winter it hovers around 0C. That’s why the potted trees can be kept out doors. If your winter is colder than that, a unheated green house that doesn’t get below freezing is needed.
I don’t know how to keep the leaves from falling. Every tree is different.

sbaddy

Seedling
Reaction score
I have just had issues when I bring trees in over the winter (they end up dying). I have a grow light so might bring it in and see how it does. It is getting colder here

Top Bottom