Chinese tallow marshadori - question about usual growth

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Chinese tallow or popcorn tree, that is Triadica sebifera, is listed as a noxious weed throughout the South. They grow remarkably well near salt marsh where you’ll often find it growing beside its equally invasive pal, the Brazilian pepper. They were brought here for ornamental purposes and put on quite a color show in the fall. I figured why not make the best of the situation and try collecting one for bonsai.

These trees tend to grow fast and straight, forming nice sprawling nebari. I’ve chopped many more formal representatives of the species to the ground as they backbud prolifically. Their invasive ability does not go unseen.

This particular specimen drew my attention because of the rather large hole in the middle of the four trunks. Thought it to be a pretty cool and unusual feature. I cut this one back a few months ago and what you see is the first push. I noticed that on one of the trunks there is some unusual growth. The leaves appear to be furled and lance-shaped rather than the typical tallow leaf growing right beside it from the other trunks. I cut back the normal growth on the plant in order to allow more auxin to the site of the unusual growth so it will develop faster.

Might anyone have any idea what is going on here? Is this a mutation or has the tallow possibly fused with a specimen belonging to another species (seems unlikely as the bark is identical and there is no evidence of a fuse)? Maybe some sort of parasite? If this is a sort of mutation, I might have something exciting here. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

52691186-DA21-4F80-BF26-7755A5622A01.jpeg
ECA35BE2-EFE4-4B8C-9013-1BE543A738CE.jpeg
EA92CDAB-9BFE-432D-8F35-2C0B1F6F6A38.jpeg
349F068D-02BC-4DAB-BBAD-3A64D35341C6.jpeg
14228EDE-1CB9-4112-AF63-17EE6FB3B575.jpeg

Top Bottom