Chinese Tallow, Triadica sebifera, Sapium sebiferum

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone messed with these much on here? When doing an internet search there is 1 thread on bnut and several others elsewhere.

Does anyone have any recent experience? They really are weeds down here and pop up everywhere. They also seem to be one of the only trees that give us fall colors this far south. They live everywhere and seem pretty vigourous! I have seen many in swamps growing like bald cypress in shallow standing water with large buttressing bases.

I really want to experiment with these but haven't started yet. I've been trying to find a nice one in the wild to pull now for a few years and just haven't found "the one" yet. Thinking of pulling some seedlings and small plants to develop them how I want. Also interested in trying some larger air layers off trees in my backyard.

Some things Im wanting to learn about them:
  1. Air layering specimens with mature bark
  2. Growing in flooded container like we do Bald Cypress
  3. Back budding on old mature wood.
Just hoping someone has tried some of this and is willing to share. I'm getting pretty maxed out on space and # of projects but I think I might try.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have tried to acclimate them to life in a pot without success. Branches die off for no reason and most of the time the tree follows. They grow like weeds everywhere but in a pot.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have tried to acclimate them to life in a pot without success. Branches die off for no reason and most of the time the tree follows. They grow like weeds everywhere but in a pot.

How much have you tried? Have you tried with seedlings? Air layers?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So is that the only one you have tried? Looked nice!
I've tried three or four and all ended with the same result. Maybe starting with a seedling will have better results but I'm to old to play around with them.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Never attempted to grow them as bonsai, but my parents had them sprout up in their yard. They are very invasive in the southern coastal plain. The wood is very soft and prone to rot, and they seem to be short lived trees. I would guess that they are pioneer trees, like willows.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had one in the backyard at my first home and it mush have been 100yrs old. At least 50, for sure. It was a very large tree towering over the old Mobile southern oaks I also had in and around my yard.

Thank you for all the feedback.

Top Bottom