Chinese White Pine (Pinus armandii)

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi again

I recently got some 200+ Chinese White Pine (Pinus armandii) seeds...they are huge....Anyone have any experience keeping these pines?

Thank You

J

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Most pines require the same treatment when young.

Does the package say they're ready for planting? Pine seeds need to go through cold stratification for about 60 days in order to sprout.

If they're ready place them in a seed flat with well draining bonsai soil. Plant each seed only half an inch deep. Check moisture levels daily, and water when you can feel the top inch of soil is almost dry. Keep it out of direct sunlight and wind. I highly advise placing a screen over it so no birds get to it.

After they've gone through their first year, prune the tap root off. It will ensure good nebari development and a healthy root system for bonsai. Apply root hormone to the roots and plant in individual pots.

The main differences I would say is in winter hardiness and vigor.
White pines are five needle pines, and most of them aren't as vigorous as two or three needle pines. Pinus Armandii are only hardy up to zone 5. You can google the name to find useful articles.

Good luck~

T

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most pines require the same treatment when young.

Does the package say they're ready for planting? Pine seeds need to go through cold stratification for about 60 days in order to sprout.

If they're ready place them in a seed flat with well draining bonsai soil. Plant each seed only half an inch deep. Check moisture levels daily, and water when you can feel the top inch of soil is almost dry. Keep it out of direct sunlight and wind. I highly advise placing a screen over it so no birds get to it.

After they've gone through their first year, prune the tap root off. It will ensure good nebari development and a healthy root system for bonsai. Apply root hormone to the roots and plant in individual pots.

The main differences I would say is in winter hardiness and vigor.
White pines are five needle pines, and most of them aren't as vigorous as two or three needle pines. Pinus Armandii are only hardy up to zone 5. You can google the name to find useful articles.

Good luck~

T

Actually i bought it in a clear plastic bag from a guy...he said they were the chinese white pines...

So no direct sun light? ok...i thought it was cold and put it under the sun...

I have them indoors...beside the window...i mist them 4 times a day...

J

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Actually i bought it in a clear plastic bag from a guy...he said they were the chinese white pines...

So no direct sun light? ok...i thought it was cold and put it under the sun...

I have them indoors...beside the window...i mist them 4 times a day...

J

No direct sunlight. Indoors is good, but it sounds like you're providing way too much moisture. That can lead to harmful fungi causing root rot. I have around 15 JWP seeds that are sprouting kept outside under full sun in the morning to afternoon. The warmth of the sun seems to be speeding up their progress, but I have them under a protective screen that provides protection from direct sunlight and from critters. I water them whenever the top 1 inch of soil approaches dryness.

Top Bottom