Chinese Wisteria...now what

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So in a weak moment of stupidity at 1am after some good Scotch I bought this Chinese Wisteria and now have buyer's remorse. I (slip) repotted it today but do not know what to do with it now. Any ideas? Or, I'll gladly sell it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 101

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Plant it in the ground and forget about it. Then when it thickens you could have something not so shameful lol

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
They are worthless as a bonsai except when they are in bloom and this one is probably 10 years from blooming for the first time. Putting it in the yard (WAY in the back somewhere) is a good suggestion, as is selling it.

Otherwise, cut it back strong each fall. Let it get badly rootbound, and keep it in a tray of water during dry spells. Prune aggressively all summer, or it will eat all your other trees.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I like the wisteria and the container in the second photo. Repot, enjoy and see what happens. Use a fertilizer with low Nitrogen.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You have a possible 3 plants there and it is probably the reason for your dislike... The base of the center looks to be a cutting from and older plant and could indeed bloom in its first season. Use no Nitrogen at all if you are looking for blossoms. Keep it damp. Some varieties bloom at different times of year so if you do not see it happen this growing season there is a good chance it has already bloomed. I would grow it for a year and make it into 3 after you are used to not doing much with them. Perhaps even sell 2... Just my take on it as they are fast growing and in my opinion a interesting plant to have around.

Grimmy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like wisteria and I hate wisteria. Working with anything with a trunk diameter smaller than your forearm is futile for a number of reasons, including smaller plants stubbornness in blooming. Big compound leaves overwhelm tiny trunk and the tight design needed for those small trunks. Small trunk also can't be pruned nearly as hard as they need to be to induce blooms. Without blooms, wisteria is worthless. It's almost worthless with blossoms, as it is a huge pain in the butt and ugly for 11 months out of the year.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
after some good Scotch I bought this Chinese Wisteria and now have buyer's remorse. I (slip) repotted it today but do not know what to do with it now. Any ideas?
Put it in a pot of bark and garden soil. Stick it in a sunny, neglected corner of your backyard. Get another bottle of scotch.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
when they bloom... hahahah seriously...

That is exactly right. I had this tree almost 15 years before it bloomed. It bloomed 3 years in a row. Then I had to repot it 3 years ago. Hasn't bloomed since and it just takes up room. I use hedging shears on the foliage in the summer.

Attachments

• WISTERIA.JPG
    WISTERIA.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 54

Shorty54

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I see this and now question my Wisteria I collected. Oh well, something that will look awesome for a week or so a year is ok! I will just have to take lots of pics! LOL! Plus mine is wild, so no telling how old it is! It has a nice solid baby trunk as of now!

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have two and I love them. The key to geting them to bloom is "not to repot". They bloom quicker if you let them get pot bound. I am intrigued by this concept of drunk shopping online. Much better than sipping scotch and getting in the truck.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I repoted last year and did not get blooms, I want to repot this year again to improve styling. I think it might bloom in 2038 with all the stuff I am doing to it!!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I repoted last year and did not get blooms, I want to repot this year again to improve styling. I think it might bloom in 2038 with all the stuff I am doing to it!!

Going to be forever if not kept root bound and damp...

Grimmy

Top Bottom