Chinese Wisteria planted......

NickUK

Seedling
Reaction score
The two pics you posted are definitely photoshopped. Which isn't an indicator of a reliable merchant.

This absolutely sums it up for me - Anyone who feels the need to photoshop something that *should* be beautiful anyway, is not a merchant I'd want to buy from.

I don't get the "LOL" responses..... The help was either lost in translation, or someone doesn't want help......

Wisteria will need to be pruned vigorously and at the right times to flower - But enjoy the many years until it does :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The young planted Blue Chinese Wisteria tree that I posted a picture of, is definitely not grown for bonsai purposes. It was planted for landscape purposes.

It was ordered and planted for it's beautiful flowering.

I just would like for it to grow and flower and use as a small tree in our backyard that's all. After reading much about Blue Chinese Wisteria trees I will trim it and maybe add shape to it by cutting branches, etc. this coming winter.

My goal is to try and get it to grow and form and bloom something like this........
View attachment 319384 View attachment 319385t
LOL!... yea sure OK whatever..

I never stated that I was expecting it to grow exactly like those pictures...I said something similar.

LOL!.....didn’t know you were so prophetic.

He's not being prophetic, he's being realistic. What YOU want is NOT want the PLANT will want. In trying to construct a "tree" wisteria, you are fighting most of its natural growth habits.

Making a free standing tree wisteria s a complicated job, particularly if you've never worked with wisteria before. The photos have been altered by the way--color enhanced. Blooms are not that vibrant and are often on the pale side.

The wisteria you have pictured are older--products of a decade or more of knowledgeable pruning and growth aimed at thickening their trunks. Wisteria can be made into a "tree" but not if the correct pruning regime is not followed. The first step is NOT to cut ANYTHING for at least five years. That growth will thicken the trunk to supports all that weight or flowers (those pictured are carrying probably over 60 lbs of foliage and flowers. Wisteria IS NOT A TREE, which means it forms "wood' that mostly isn't used to support the plant. Which, in turn, means you have to double or triple the plant's limbs and trunk.

If you simply leave your plant alone for five years, it will begin to have a decent trunk. If you begin pruning it substantially enough to get it to bloom (and it may not be prepared to do that physically for up to ten years depending on the age of the cutting), you will slow it down and prolong your job by years...

You can get pissed off if you want, but those are pretty much the facts with what you're trying to do.

Oh and BTW, LOL you actually BOUGHT a wisteria...know how easy it is to collect very large wisteria trunks from the wild...just sayin...

Last edited:

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for your info @rockm this makes me think... I've one in the ground at the moment, growing up a trellis, however now I am thinking.. it may be better for the trees trunk development, to have no support.
It will grow so much slower but the trunk will be stronger, due to NEED to be.. Hmm i don't see it as an option though, as it will be so slow to grow.

What do you think of that dilemma?
Don't ask why I am growing them from seeds, we all do crazy things when we are .... in bonsai. Its a very long term project of mine. Those very good examples of Wisteria we see, so few of on Google, started with something.. maybe one of mine will be one, one day :).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your info @rockm this makes me think... I've one in the ground at the moment, growing up a trellis, however now I am thinking.. it may be better for the trees trunk development, to have no support.
It will grow so much slower but the trunk will be stronger, due to NEED to be.. Hmm i don't see it as an option though, as it will be so slow to grow.

What do you think of that dilemma?
Don't ask why I am growing them from seeds, we all do crazy things when we are .... in bonsai. Its a very long term project of mine. Those very good examples of Wisteria we see, so few of on Google, started with something.. maybe one of mine will be one, one day :).
You're not thinking like the tree. Just because it has no support won't make it change the way it produces wood. Wisteria wood is not structural--it is basically a way to transport water, a lot of water..."Real trees" grow to produce structural wood--their lives depend on being able to stand on their own. Wisteria's lives depend on being able to transport a lot of water to its crown growth--which is usually supported by something else. Just because you take away the support structure won't change a genetically encoded growth habit

As for the seeds, you must also like golf--you're a masochist 😁

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're not thinking like the tree. Just because it has no support won't make it change the way it produces wood. Wisteria wood is not structural--it is basically a way to transport water, a lot of water..."Real trees" grow to produce structural wood--their lives depend on being able to stand on their own. Wisteria's lives depend on being able to transport a lot of water to its crown growth--which is usually supported by something else. Just because you take away the support structure won't change a genetically encoded growth habit

I should clarify--the wood is produced from tissues whose purpose is to transport water...wood itself doesn't do that or course.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

I should have listened to my own advice, in my post above :).
Thanks,

Well, you always hear about great trees started from seed, Bill V has a number of them. I think everyone at some point always has a little desire to have started one. (albeit, Wisteria not being the most ideal...)

Best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, second best time is today :)

Mr. Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Believe it or not this Chinese Wisteria bloomed, somewhat, this past Spring.

Not a lot of flowering but still it bloomed.

I trimmed it back…a lot yesterday to give it some shape/character.

Maybe next Spring it with will bloom a lot more.

C59A3EC3-61C8-47E1-9FF2-E50814D6BEBE.jpeg
8B621C04-68DF-4B3A-AA45-1EC80928C7D9.jpeg
EB87B348-FAE8-4A2E-9D37-A070B1205C57.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Believe it or not this Chinese Wisteria bloomed, somewhat, this past Spring.

Not a lot of flowering but still it bloomed.

I trimmed it back…a lot yesterday to give it some shape/character.

Maybe next Spring it with will bloom a lot more.

View attachment 401683
View attachment 401684
View attachment 401686
Very nice looking trunk. I am jealous. Mine was planted 4 years ago and is still a tiny one.
By the way, what was the color of the flowers?

Mr. Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Very nice looking trunk. I am jealous. Mine was planted 4 years ago and is still a tiny one.
By the way, what was the color of the flowers?

Thank you......the very few flowers that bloomed were very light blue, like sky blue in color, not very dark.

But that's ok to me. I know that it is in it's young infant stage of growing so hopefully it will bloom more flowers next Spring and darker in color, maybe...only time will tell.

Also it survived the massive week long freeze that we experienced down here in Texas this past February 2021.

Back then looking at it I thought for sure that it was gone/dead but it came back....it's a resilient tree for sure!

Mr. Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Finally found my picture of the flowering from my Chinese Wisteria (took me awhile to find them on my iphone...had to look way back on my pictures).

This picture was taken way before (back in early June 2021) when I pruned the heck out of it.

Even though the pictures show the color of the flowering’s as lavender like shade, this was the early stage…once though fully bloom they turned a light bluish shade.

Not bad for a start since it's infant planting back in 2019.
8A2DAEBF-D9DA-475C-ABDD-901C0B0AAF8A.jpeg0D8E5E6B-4F4A-41D9-AAB5-49F440467FB6.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom