Chinzan Azalea Hard Cutback to Induce Backbudding

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi all, I have a very sickly chinzan azalea that has gone downhill fast due to excessive heat, and being in claylike soil. I did an emergency repot into good bonsai soil (perhaps foolishly), and am now wondering, since it's lost most of its leaves at this point, would a hard cutback this late in the year just fail no matter what? Or, is there a chance that it could induce backbudding to get some new leaves on this poor thing?

Probably a goner, which is why I'm willing to try something radical like that.

Thanks!

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you were on your death bed, would cutting off your arms help or hurt your chances of survival:)

There is chance cutting back hard could induce backbudding, but what does that mean for the tree? That would mean the tree is using whatever last energy it might have by backbudding, causing an already bad situation to get worse.

I would put it in shade and try to properly water it. Let the tree tell you what it needs. It may survive, it may not...it may partially die. But I would suggest to leave it alone.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you were on your death bed, would cutting off your arms help or hurt your chances of survival:)

There is chance cutting back hard could induce backbudding, but what does that mean for the tree? That would mean the tree is using whatever last energy it might have by backbudding, causing an already bad situation to get worse.

I would put it in shade and try to properly water it. Let the tree tell you what it needs. It may survive, it may not...it may partially die. But I would suggest to leave it alone.
Makes sense hahaha

And yup, that's been the plan so far. Thanks.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would at least give it some Azalea specific fertilizer. At least it could have a good last meal.
Oh, I actually gave it miracid the other day, but then realized fertilizing sick trees is supposed to be a bad idea, so I flushed it like crazy.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Leave it alone until next year at the earliest... if it's growing well, a cut back would be fine.
It’s most definitely not growing well. There’s still some very light areas at the tips that aren’t wilted, but everything else has wilted and/or fallen off.

My fear is that with no leaves, it won’t make it through winter.

Kendo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Some repotting now is of concern. Now done best for healing is Yamagoke. Hai Make dressing for soils Yamagoke. Hai Tree is now needing 70% reduction of light and normal routine. Hai Using organic is best for Azalea. Hai Nonsense about acid plant fertilizer from internet or some who selling. Hai Using Biogold for he easy available. Hai

SOmetime not the best is only solution. Still have to pay penalty even for some improvement long term, Hai

Top Bottom