Chinzan Azalea Progession

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought this azalea at a local nursery in 2015 as a big round bush with lots of trunks. The base seemed good and I thought I could do something with it. I neglected to take any pics in 2015 but took this one in 2016 after it was cut back and potted. I initially kept 4 trunks.

2016.jpeg

After it flowered, I reduced the trunks further.

20162.jpeg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And here is the tree today. I just finished removing all of the flowers. I didn't get a good pic of it in bloom this year - I was waiting for it to get to the peak and a hard rain messed it up. I wish I would have brought it in. Oh well.

The tree is due for a repot now that the flowers are gone. I think it's been 3 years at this point.

20220607_122142.jpg

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Nice! What’s the substrate you have it in?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Great progression and transformation. Thanks for sharing, gives me a lot of ideas.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice! What’s the substrate you have it in?
Thanks! I keep all my trees in a mix of small lava rock, turface and pine bark. I adjust the mix based on the water needs of the tree. Pines get more lava while maples get more pine bark in the mix for example. Seems to work for me.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Very good work. Interesting that you are using pine bark. Not a big surprise that it works well, though.

Top Bottom