Chinzan Azalea with Wilted Leaves (some browning, too)

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any ideas what might be wrong here? It's well-watered every day. Normally it's in a spot that gets a pretty good amount of sun, so I'm going to be moving it to a shadier spot. Could this be overwatering? Underwatering? Too much sunlight? It was on a drip tray, so maybe too much standing water?

It's new to me, and I've only had it about 3 weeks.

Attachments

• y0qcqYX - Imgur.jpg
    y0qcqYX - Imgur.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 77
  • I0DRyXH - Imgur.jpg
    I0DRyXH - Imgur.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 73

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Probably throwing a fit over the awful heat the last few days and adjusting from wherever it came from. make sure it's getting plenty of water and draining through the holes.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Probably throwing a fit over the awful heat the last few days and adjusting from wherever it came from. make sure it's getting plenty of water and draining through the holes.
Good point. I did a top dressing refresh when I got it, so it is percolating well.

You think I should leave it in a shadier spot, then?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9

It does not look good and I think it is dead or dying. I have one about the same size that died this summer, it looks just like yours. The leaves are green and wilty so it gives you hope, but when you scratch the main trunk there is no green cambium, so it is dead. It is a bad year for azaleas, I don't know what it is, but I have lost three in bonsai pots and several in the landscape.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It does not look good and I think it is dead or dying. I have one about the same size that died this summer, it looks just like yours. The leaves are green and wilty so it gives you hope, but when you scratch the main trunk there is no green cambium, so it is dead. It is a bad year for azaleas, I don't know what it is, but I have lost three in bonsai pots and several in the landscape.
Oh, man. That would suck. It was pretty expensive.

Harrumph

The cambium is, indeed, still green.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good point. I did a top dressing refresh when I got it, so it is percolating well.

You think I should leave it in a shadier spot, then?

You may want to give it some shade on the really really hot days like today. I think today may be the last of the sweltering hot days in our area. Mine droops when it's really hot and i don't water enough. I water and it perks back up. I keep mine in full sun with the pines. Good luck.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
We have had some days of extreme heat [interspersed with monsoon rains and days of both extreme heat and humidity]. My azaleas, satsuki and otherwise, respond well to having the foliage misted when it's over 90 degrees. I read somewhere that in hot weather, as much as 80% of the tree's total water uptake goes to cooling itself.
And for what it's worth, that tree should be on the expensive side--it's a great looking tree! Best of luck with it.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anybody think this tree has a chance? Anything I can do to give it a better chance of survival?

If it loses all its leaves going into winter, does that mean it 100% will not wake up in spring? Or, could it make it through winter, and then I could trunk chop it to make it backbud?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am far from an azalea expert although we have a number in the yard. The material I am seeing on this variety says part sun to light shade, well drained soil, and medium moisture so it may be getting too much sun. Also I noted it is rated for zones 7-9 so it might have trouble this winter in your area.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am far from an azalea expert although we have a number in the yard. The material I am seeing on this variety says part sun to light shade, well drained soil, and medium moisture so it may be getting too much sun. Also I noted it is rated for zones 7-9 so it might have trouble this winter in your area.
Thanks, Cofga. It’s in light shade now, but things seem to be going downhill. It’s continuing to wilt.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Almost certainly a root issue. Satsuki azaleas are both heat and sun tolerant... I keep mine here in GA in the same exposure as my junipers and pines... and heat related issues with them usually presents itself with yellowing leaves as opposed to brown and wilting/withering leaves. I've had more then a few satsukis acutely wilt... usually starting with a lower branch and move upward toward the apex. I've tried everything from full shade to fungicide drenches to planting in the ground... none survived:confused:.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Almost certainly a root issue. Satsuki azaleas are both heat and sun tolerant... I keep mine here in GA in the same exposure as my junipers and pines... and heat related issues with them usually presents itself with yellowing leaves as opposed to brown and wilting/withering leaves. I've had more then a few satsukis acutely wilt... usually starting with a lower branch and move upward toward the apex. I've tried everything from full shade to fungicide drenches to planting in the ground... none survived:confused:.
Drat. What a waste of money. I suppose it's been overwatered, then, since watering has been done on a schedule for about 3-4 weeks, and not as needed.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Drat. What a waste of money. I suppose it's been overwatered, then, since watering has been done on a schedule for about 3-4 weeks, and not as needed.
The tree isn't dead so I wouldn't give up, but I think you need realistic expectations. I'd keep this one in a shady but open area and water only when needed.... and keep fingers crossed. Fwiw, I have lost at least 4 imported satsukis to some kind of wilt over the years... still don't consider it wasted money, but I only have 2 of them left (one purchased a decade ago and one last year) and I'm unlikely to get any more.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Dave4 is right. I have lost 2.5 this year. One of them looks just like yours, leaves green and wilty, but the trunk is dead. I think it is something fungal, bacterial, or viral that attacks the roots. It always seems to hit late spring, early summer. Yours might pull through, but the chances are slim at best.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As a last resort, you could clip the wires from underneath, and gently tip the pot to slide the tree out. That way you could at least know if it's a root rot problem. If the roots look good, you can repot and just add fresh soil as needed without tinkering with the roots.
Leo also posted a few months ago about several bacteria that can be taken up by the tree in water, and with each of them, once it starts you're pretty well screwed.
What do the branches look like? The reason I ask is that if they get that wrinkled, shrunken look to the bark, the roots feeding that branch are dead. As long as the branches look plump and round and are flexible/resilient, there's hope. You can also try clipping a little bit off a branch end, and see if the cambium is still green near the branch tips.

Kendo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Take the water to small bowl and check for PH, soils is looking wrong type.

This look like he water too much for problem. Leave heavy? He root sick.

This will die in some area. Flip style can be interesting feature. Can also make for the bad tree.

If the PH of wrong soils is problem, He can some light repot for corrections, but damage is happen to this one tree future.

Top Bottom