Chinzan azalea?

Woody213

Seed
Reaction score
Hello. I am looking to purchase my first bonsai. I am hoping to find a flowering/fragrant tree to start with. I have found some information stating that these are fairly beginner friendly. I found a kit from Dallas Bonsai.

It would be mainly grown indoors, with occasional days outdoors. I live in southeast Virginia in a USDA 8a region.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Wellcome Woody213!
Why grow your bonsai tree indoors?
... ...I am hoping to find a flowering/fragrant tree to start with. I have found some information stating that these are fairly beginner friendly... ...
You mean the plant on your title? i.e. Azalea?
Although I consider myself always a beginner, I think that Azaleas are not that easy plants for first bonsai?
They are lovely trees seen in full bloom indeed!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Greetings, Woody213.

I don't think that an azalea would be good for a beginner, especially if you plan on trying to grow it inside. FWIW, no tree will do well trying to grow inside. There are some who are some what successful with tropicals using expensive lighting and such, but trees need to be outside, inside they will just whither away.

For a beginner I would suggest a Chinese elm, a ficus, or maybe even a bald cypress. All of these are very forgiving trees. I also would not purchase a "kit" for a "beginner" tree. For the same money you could get much nicer starter material from some of the bonsai auction pages on facebook or one of the bonsai farms that are mentioned on this site.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy bro!

Yeah no kits!

Yeah no indoors! (Unless it' a ficus)
(Or a BRAZILIAN rain tree! Flowers)

But if you want to keep an Azalea....

Do it!

Sorce

Woody213

Seed
Reaction score
How would a Chinese Elm fair indoors? I have no problem with a bonsai outdoors during the day, however I would be worried about kids in my neighborhood messing with it at night as my neighborhood is a bit rough

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Indoors, Ficus is the easiest for a beginner, especially if you have little or no experience with house plants.

Dallas Bonsai is a reputable company, while it is usually true you can do better in targeting your purchase to your needs by purchasing items separately, the kits Dallas Bonsai puts together are not that bad.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Many of us have subtropical trees that we grow outdoors for summer and indoors for winter. Not just a day or two outside, rather the whole growing season outside.

The original Bonsai art as developed in Japan was strictly as outdoor trees. Just before visitors arrive, the home owner would bring the bonsai into the house and display it in the house showcase or display area, the tokonoma. As soon as guests leave, the bonsai is returned to the outside, often before the dishes are done. In Japan, all those trees in those beautiful photos are usually brought indoors for only a few hours at a time, often no more than once or twice a year. The original art form is strictly outdoor trees. Only in the USA are we dumb enough to try to grow them indoors. Many new to the hobby don't know that they really are outdoor trees, all the pretty pictures confused us.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As for Chinzan azalea, it is a good variety of Satsuki azalea, good for bonsai, and vigorous enough that if you want to learn to grow azalea bonsai, it is a good one to start with. If you already have a collection of outdoors garden plants, and have house plants you have kept alive for more than two years, you have the horticultural skills needed to begin learning azalea. If you are new to horticulture, I would suggest starting with something easier, like Ficus or the Spekboom, mini jade tree, also known as portulaca.

Just trying to help, do you have much horticultural experience?

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What ever u do don't buy trees from Bonsai Boy unless u want a tall stick.
And welcome

Top Bottom