Chlorosis on a loropetalum and how to fix?

AaronG

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I bought this loropetalum at a discount with the hopes that I could nurse it back to health. My best guess is chlorosis, but I am not sure exactly why. From the articles I read, it could be that the soil PH is too high (loropetalum prefers acidic soil), it is root bound, or there aren't enough nutrients in the soil. After inspecting it, all of them could be true. This tree looks like it has sat near the back of the nursery for a long time. I have read about coffee grounds and vinegar to lower soil PH. I have also read about iron supplements. And then, it could be that the tree is just root bound and there is little actual soil left.

I guess my questions are, what would you do and do I have enough time to do it before summer? Would pruning some of the unwanted branches actually help the roots by reducing the nutrient needs in the interim?

View media item 5127

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I can't view the picture. If it is chlorosis, get some Mir-Acid. That should help, if that is the problem. It did wonders for a bougie I had with chlorosis, in a couple treatments.

AaronG

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry about that, I fixed the privacy settings so you should be able to see it. I'm glad you mentioned Miracid. Is the Miracid a permanent treatment to lower the PH or do you have to keep applying that consistently because the PH comes back up between treatments?

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you know what variety it is supposed to be?

There are some variegated varieties that could appear chlorotic. 'Jazz Hands' is one type that comes to mind, and it has splashes of white, pink, and purple in the foliage that an unknowing person could mistake for a plant issue.

Edit: just saw that you got the picture to work. Definitely looks like you have some sort of issue...

AaronG

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There wasn't a tag, but it was a Southern Living plant (per the nursery owner) and they have one green leaf variety, Emerald Snow.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Sorry about that, I fixed the privacy settings so you should be able to see it. I'm glad you mentioned Miracid. Is the Miracid a permanent treatment to lower the PH or do you have to keep applying that consistently because the PH comes back up between treatments?
Two treatments did the trick.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
Also when it gets to be summer where ever you are you might want to keep it in light shade. I already had to move mine as the heat of the full sun area was drying them out to the point of some leaf wilt.

Top Bottom