choice of trees for future bonsai

wwtigraww

Seedling
Reaction score
I seems to be keep picking the wrong trees for bonsai, my favourite local shop have these fresh in stock, any of them you would recommend?
> Japanese cedar
> Siberian spruce
> Himalayan juniper
> Giant sequoia
> Sawara cypress
> Shore Juniper
I'm in Ireland btw

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1572092713316.jpg
    FB_IMG_1572092713316.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Enter your location information -this is essential to getting the best answer to your question.

I personally would skip both of those junipers. Also, what is new in stock is not necessarily the best material your nursery will have for you.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Gotta be California...

wwtigraww

Seedling
Reaction score
Enter your location information -this is essential to getting the best answer to your question.

I personally would skip both of those junipers. Also, what is new in stock is not necessarily the best material your nursery will have for you.
im in Ireland. it's a small shop and the Japanese cedar seemed to me like a good choice not as I said keep picking wrong ones so thought I'll ask first 🤷‍♀️

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
When starting out, I would say to just get low and look for the coolest base on the material offered.
Of course there are many “better” options for bonsai out there, but if they are at your local nurseries, chances are they are hardy for your area and care for them will b easy.

I would say train your eye to see the best potential in material available, work em hard, and see what happens!
I believe just getting your hands dirty is The most enjoyable way to learn.😉

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Public library, see the trees native to Ireland [ or were native ]
and make choices.
Good Day
Anthony

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMO...

You might just be at the wrong shop.

Those look like what our Monrovia plants are here...
To well groomed, grown, and expensive to make sense for bonsai.

You're better off buying these to replace old beat up shit found in old gardens. Trade up for both parties!

Sorce

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
IMO...

You might just be at the wrong shop.

Those look like what our Monrovia plants are here...
To well groomed, grown, and expensive to make sense for bonsai.

You're better off buying these to replace old beat up shit found in old gardens. Trade up for both parties!

Sorce

Interesting take on the Monrovia nursery stock! I feel like that's all I've ever seen at nurseries.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
all the trees listed have or can potentially be made into good bonsai EXCEPT the Giant Sequoia. The giant sequoia has a poor tract record as bonsai. Grow is very rapid when healthy, it is not resilient in container horticulture - in other words - in a bonsai pot it is prone to dying. Very upright growth pattern. Best off as a large scale, rapid growing tree in the landscape. It can grow more than half a meter a year when planted in the ground. Not good trait for bonsai.

The rest all make passable trees. The better the material you start with the better the future outcome.

> Japanese cedar
> Siberian spruce
> Himalayan juniper
> Giant sequoia
> Sawara cypress
> Shore Juniper

Top Bottom