Choice of two pots

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi all I'm going to get Andy Pearson at stone monkey ceramics to make a pot for my little shimpaku juniper as it will need a new pot now it has been compressed down in size by harry Harrington.
So the first pot is a lotus pot.
20190416_175802.jpg
And the second is a hexagon.20190416_175841.jpg
These are the two pot designs I chose from the six or so ideas he sent me.
What do you guys think?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I like the hexagon, but then, I'm not a big fan of lotus pots.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Between the 2, I prefer the first one. Something about the rounded edges looks more appealing with that movement to me than the hard angles on the second pot. Which one are you leaning towards?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The trunk is a smooth corkscrew and the tree has no sharp, angular features, so I think it should have a smooth cornered pot like #1.
I think you answered your own question. Second one. Personally, I'd look around for a round rougher textured nanban style pot for this one.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Between the 2, I prefer the first one. Something about the rounded edges looks more appealing with that movement to me than the hard angles on the second pot. Which one are you leaning towards?
Hi I like them both but I think the lotus pot for me but I would have it with a slightly shallower feel to than the one in the pic

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think something more rustic would suit this tree. The hex is nice but a bit distracting, the lotus in ok, but too deep although that could be the angle of the virt. I guess I like the juxtaposition between the tree and the hex better than the lotus.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
I think something more rustic would suit this tree. The hex is nice but a bit distracting, the lotus in ok, but too deep although that could be the angle of the virt. I guess I like the juxtaposition between the tree and the hex better than the lotus.
Yeah I agree that the pot in the virt on no1 the lotus is a bit too deep I believe Andy just cut and pasted that pic from his archives.
I would definitely have to get it shallower.
The bark on the tree in this pic does seem a tad grey and untextured but in reality it's a dark brown to red colour so that's why I chose stone monkey as the red colour of his pota will make that bark pop

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hmmmmm....I would have picked out an earthy tone...olive, grey, subdued blue combo....round pot. I don’t think the pot colors or shapes you show really compliment the tree. But that’s just my thinking.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If it were mine I'd go with the lotus or an antique mirror shaped one. Make sure to ask Andy and Harry how they feel about it btw, they both have a very good pot-tree combo eye.
I mean really if I could ask Andy how to pair a pot with a tree........

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Yeah I did ask Andy these are his virts of the pots he felt matched the tree best, he created me about 8 different combos and I sent them all to harry and he and me discussed each one for there merits but came up with a choice of these two and the dimensions that the pot needs to be.

Reaction score
Yeah I did ask Andy these are his virts of the pots he felt matched the tree best, he created me about 8 different combos and I sent them all to harry and he and me discussed each one for there merits but came up with a choice of these two and the dimensions that the pot needs to be.

Ah sweet! What is your own preference? And have you asked Andy about an antique nirror shaped one yet? I think that would look killer.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Ah sweet! What is your own preference? And have you asked Andy about an antique nirror shaped one yet? I think that would look killer.
Yeah Personally I like the lotus pot it suits the curves of the trunk.
As for the antique mirror Im personally not the biggest fan of that shape I saw one of his ones and it looked a bit weird at the size were talking about it's only going to be a 4 to 5 inch pot by 1.5 inch deep

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If i take style of your bonsai into the account, second pot seems more alluring to me.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Again...the pots are two fine for the knotted, rough tree and the color does not do the tree justice. I actually think one of Dave's cement style pots would look excellent.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Of the two...lotus. the other is distracting and it's like repelling magnets in my mind. But...that's just me. The lotus brings Harmony and one can focus more on the tree. Both pots are nice ...but the lotus for me.

Top Bottom