Chojubai Aphids

KingJades

Shohin
Reaction score
Ran a search on this but came up empty. What sort of treatments have folks been using with aphids on chojubai? I have been trying spraying them off with water but they are persistent. I have heard that chojubai respond poorly to some chemicals so I haven't been willing to experiment.

Ladybug rehoming cleared them for a bit but they returned.

On hand, I have Bayer 3in1 and Neem. Has anyone used either of these on chojubai with success?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Aphids can be removed with a simple pinch between your thumb and forefinger. Wipe them off and squish them or squish them in place - you don't need to pinch so hard as to damage the leaf.
Next step or maybe your first is to just blast them off with a jet of water from your garden hose (then maybe pinch/wipe away the few you see remaining).
If they still get out of control, NEEM works very well for all sucking insects, just don't spray when it is in bloom, for the sake of the bees.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The official answer is that YOU MUST READ THE WHOLE FOLD OUT LABEL of your Bayer 3 in 1, and the Neem. (the full label is book length) The label MUST list the pest you are trying to kill, or assume it will not work on your pest. So READ, because not all formulations of a pesticide will do the same in every location. Also READ to make sure it lists your plants as being safe for the pesticide to be used on. And finally, READ the SAFETY PRECAUTIONS.

Bayer has different formulations for California than they have for the rest of the country. It is state by state where approval for different products to be sold. My vision of absolute hell would be, I'm stuck as a compliance officer for State regulations for a pesticide company. Michigan approves pesticides for use on a county by county basis. The regulations are insane.

I do know that in all probability the Bayer 3 in 1 is a good choice to kill aphids. If the product has not been over-used in your area, you probably won't run into a resistant strain of aphids. Malathion is another old fashioned, but fairly effective poison for aphids.

Neem, because it is a plant extract, falls into a different category, and the label might not be as helpful. Neem does not outright kill insects. Its main effect is that it is an antifeedant. It causes the insects that come in contact to loose their appetite, and slowly starve. Neem also has some mild anti-fungal effects. It is a good product, but not 100% effective, I would alternate, 3 in 1 first week, to knock down populations, then a week later follow with Neem, the a week later another application of 3 in 1, then Neem. Keep the cycle going, note when you last saw a living insect, then one more application, then you are done.

Note, don't just spray your Chojubai. If one tree has aphids, there are probably low level populations on every green plant within 25 feet of the Chojubai. Spray your whole collection, and any close by garden beds.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’m having a problem with what appear to be aphids on my Japanese quince. Boy, do those little bastards love blossom buds! I’ve used an insecticidal soap when they appear, and within an hour they turn black and die.
When I was putting everything in the greenhouse I noticed a type of [I think] scale insects on a couple of azaleas—mostly on the underside of leaves, little white things looking like miniaturized grains of rice. With so many things in close proximity to each other, I opted for a prophylactic spraying with Sevin for everybody. I figured if Sevin kills scale, which is among the most durable pest, it would take care of aphids, mealy bugs, gonorrhea, etc.

Top Bottom