Chojubai Bsop monthly w/ M Hagedorn

Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
"Randy Knight is outside giving away trees..." came the announcement over the pa speakers.
A chaos erupted, as if someone had pulled the fire alarm. A river of grey and silver heads flooded out the room and down the entrance hall toward the cache of goods.
This was just one of many highlights for March 22 Bonsai Society of Portland monthly meeting.
The formal display at the entrance featured a Deshojo Maple started from seed, pot grown, by Anne Spencer in a Vicky Chamberlin pot. The Club's own Scott Elser had this tree under his care ten years. Elser was responsible for setting up both sides of the formal display and built the stands that the trees are presented on.FE22DFBE-6C10-440C-8C47-C1A5FCB36501.jpeg

Attachments

• 9E0C8FCE-3745-4312-9D64-F4ABF915396A.jpeg
    9E0C8FCE-3745-4312-9D64-F4ABF915396A.jpeg
    313.3 KB · Views: 66
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The club silent auction featured a delightful assortment of wooden stands, mame pots and several field grown Japanese Black Pines from Telperion farms.
many vendors were present with trees, pots and tools.
The show & tell table featured a traditional Chinese landscape presented on a marble tray, and some other member trees from refined to “I’m not sure whats going wrong with this.”

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The club silent auction featured a delightful assortment of wooden stands, mame pots and several field grown Japanese Black Pines from Telperion farms.
many vendors were present with trees, pots and tools.
The show & tell table featured a traditional Chinese landscape presented on a marble tray, and some other member trees from refined to “I’m not sure whats going wrong with this.”
Thanks for sharing. Sounds and looks like a great time.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks a great day; yes, thanks for sharing indeed!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
😊 thanks for reading. Most people in my general orbit aren't interested in bonsai related topice.
Well then you're in the right place! I love cats, but why does the one in your avatar look like it wants to eat somebody's face off!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Michael Hagedorn presented on Chojubai. He managed to cover everything regarding longevity plum in the allotted time, a true Bonsai Professional.
View attachment 426296View attachment 426297View attachment 426298View attachment 426299View attachment 426300
If you ever get a chance to snag one of Michaels pots do so and if it happens to have one of his Chojubai in it. Than that is like winning the lottery!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If you ever get a chance to snag one of Michaels pots do so and if it happens to have one of his Chojubai in it. Than that is like winning the lottery!
I sat in the front so I could beg him for a cutting, but no dice. According to him it doesn't take long to grow your own chojubai, unfortunately I didn't get a direct quote in my notes, but I believe he said you could have a nice shohin **multi-trunk* tree in about 5 years, and about 10 years for a larger multi-trunk. It sounds like they root as easily as c. japonica from cuttings, and root cuttings all year round. I just started making my own pots, so if I can get my hands on some material I should be able to make my own!
I agree though, from what I've seen of his pottery and the fact he doesn't make pots anymore, that would indeed be akin to winning the lottery!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well then you're in the right place! I love cats, but why does the one in your avatar look like it wants to eat somebody's face off!
He's a talker, ragdoll mix. Most of the time I try to take a picture he looks at me and meows. He only bites me when he's hungry, usually on the shin or top of my foot.

Attachments

• 74825C77-4B3C-48F2-B196-079D8A6617B4.jpeg
    74825C77-4B3C-48F2-B196-079D8A6617B4.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 56

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He's a talker, ragdoll mix. Most of the time I try to take a picture he looks at me and meows. He only bites me when he's hungry, usually on the shin or top of my foot.
Yikes! I love cats too but that one is cute in a terrifying way.

Agree on the difficulty in finding chojubai starter material. I tried to steal some from Michael the last time I was down there but no dice. I think @JEads plans to have some available next year.

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
574F3013-4691-43A5-9882-E23CA9A65846.jpeg
Above is one of the trees randy gave away. So happy to give this lovely maple a home with my family of trees :) also attached some more photos of trees shown as the were also lovely

edit: also wanted to add in that the mad rush out to the front was a hilarious start to a presentation

Attachments

• 9D8CE906-4B59-4D7B-A2BD-76A367DD2926.jpeg
    9D8CE906-4B59-4D7B-A2BD-76A367DD2926.jpeg
    251.4 KB · Views: 58
  • A1C4AA76-77B8-4C1B-A6E2-D8E85BAF7DA7.jpeg
    A1C4AA76-77B8-4C1B-A6E2-D8E85BAF7DA7.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 3EA520F0-E70D-4544-84B1-0ACAA4903B9A.jpeg
    3EA520F0-E70D-4544-84B1-0ACAA4903B9A.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 221C7952-EA41-49E1-B4A0-485713EC06B6.jpeg
    221C7952-EA41-49E1-B4A0-485713EC06B6.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
View attachment 426413
Above is one of the trees randy gave away. So happy to give this lovely maple a home with my family of trees :) also attached some more photos of trees shown as the were also lovely

edit: also wanted to add in that the mad rush out to the front was a hilarious start to a presentation
nice score! I'm glad I passed on those massive conifers and tridents and grabbed a maple as well. When I was leaving I discovered two weird trees and an anderson flat left behind so I snatched those up. I kinda wished I would've grabbed that awesome soil but didn't want to be greedy.
Thanks for posting those photos, I regret not getting a photo of that Chinese landscape display. The last photo you posted, the artist told me she made that slab out of glass. I definitely hope to see more from her!

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
nice score! I'm glad I passed on those massive conifers and tridents and grabbed a maple as well. When I was leaving I discovered two weird trees and an anderson flat left behind so I snatched those up. I kinda wished I would've grabbed that awesome soil but didn't want to be greedy.
Thanks for posting those photos, I regret not getting a photo of that Chinese landscape display. The last photo you posted, the artist told me she made that slab out of glass. I definitely hope to see more from her!
I saw the flats but have no need for them so left for others. I was really considering redoing my benches to fit the massive conifer that was on the right. But am very happy to have gotten the maple instead! I’d love to see pics of the weirdos you got!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yikes! I love cats too but that one is cute in a terrifying way.

Agree on the difficulty in finding chojubai starter material. I tried to steal some from Michael the last time I was down there but no dice. I think @JEads plans to have some available next year.
That was brought up last night. There is also a large waiting list. tempImage1VND86.pngMichael Hagedorn said this tree is from the same mother plant that Susie and Brent from Evergreen Garden Works offer as chojubai red. It had the smallest leaves, flowers and finer twiggy-growth compared to the other varieties he brought. I may need to get on his waiting list as these characteristics would be ideal for shohin and mame.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I sat in the front so I could beg him for a cutting, but no dice. According to him it doesn't take long to grow your own chojubai, unfortunately I didn't get a direct quote in my notes, but I believe he said you could have a nice shohin **multi-trunk* tree in about 5 years, and about 10 years for a larger multi-trunk. It sounds like they root as easily as c. japonica from cuttings, and root cuttings all year round. I just started making my own pots, so if I can get my hands on some material I should be able to make my own!
I agree though, from what I've seen of his pottery and the fact he doesn't make pots anymore, that would indeed be akin to winning the lottery!
Bonsai Northwest in Seattle had lots of Chojubai from cuttings every year. Both colours, but I am not sure if the owner still has some at his acreage or farm on Vachon island. The new owners may have some stock if they acquired plants when they bought the business. Another good source was Lone Pine Gardens in Sebastopol, California.
They do strike easy from cuttings and grow quickly. They are not fond of frequent repotting, so overprint them, that way they do not have to be disturbed so often. They like deeper pots for development.

Top Bottom