Chojubai Bsop monthly w/ M Hagedorn

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
I gotta move.
You will really miss the Cali sunshine 😂. Happy lamps and vitamin D and 6 months of dreary weather, but grow any non-tropical bonsai you want.

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
nice score! I'm glad I passed on those massive conifers and tridents and grabbed a maple as well. When I was leaving I discovered two weird trees and an anderson flat left behind so I snatched those up. I kinda wished I would've grabbed that awesome soil but didn't want to be greedy.
Thanks for posting those photos, I regret not getting a photo of that Chinese landscape display. The last photo you posted, the artist told me she made that slab out of glass. I definitely hope to see more from her!
Oh, that sounds like Ellen. She is a big penjing fan, and does glass fusing. I think she is around BNut too, and attends the bsop meetings regularly. :) She gave me some liquid frit to draw on glass (I dabbled in glass fusing and glass blowing before I moved to Oregon). Just need to find time..

Reaction score
Yes, that’s me! So glad you enjoyed the penjing. If you’re really looking for chojubai, check with Gretchen at River Rock nursery. She has some that aren’t quite ready for sale, but will be in a month or so. She is usually at the BSOP meetings.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Randy Knight is outside giving away trees..." came the announcement over the pa speakers.
A chaos erupted, as if someone had pulled the fire alarm. A river of grey and silver heads flooded out the room and down the entrance hall toward the cache of good
SO where's the pics of Randy trees and what was given away🧐?

Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
SO where's the pics of Randy trees and what was given away🧐?
Sorry the scene was too dark and chaotic!
I'll post pics of the three I left with tomorrow & maybe you can help identify them. One of the two that nobody wanted looks like it threw 3 suckers and the main trunk died.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
"Randy Knight is outside giving away trees..." came the announcement over the pa speakers.
A chaos erupted, as if someone had pulled the fire alarm. A river of grey and silver heads flooded out the room and down the entrance hall toward the cache of goods.
This was just one of many highlights for March 22 Bonsai Society of Portland monthly meeting.
The formal display at the entrance featured a Deshojo Maple started from seed, pot grown, by Anne Spencer in a Vicky Chamberlin pot. The Club's own Scott Elser had this tree under his care ten years. Elser was responsible for setting up both sides of the formal display and built the stands that the trees are presented on.View attachment 426290
Very nice tree, but if it was grown from seed technically it's not a 'Deshojo'.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very nice tree, but if it was grown from seed technically it's not a 'Deshojo'.
Thanks for chiming in with this learning opportunity. My mistake, I meant to say probably grown from seedling because I've been told she did that. I imagine your point is that Deshojo is possibly a cultivar that can only be cultivated from cutting or air-layer because Japanese Maples aren't true to their seed?
I'm only a beginner so if you would care to expand on that statement I would love to learn something additional about Japanese Maples.
And while we are at it will the leaves on Deshojo turn green when they harden off or is this a true red leaf variety? I'm looking around at my own seedlings and can't remember which cuttings came from green maples and which are from red.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for chiming in with this learning opportunity. My mistake, I meant to say probably grown from seedling because I've been told she did that. I imagine your point is that Deshojo is possibly a cultivar that can only be cultivated from cutting or air-layer because Japanese Maples aren't true to their seed?
I'm only a beginner so if you would care to expand on that statement I would love to learn something additional about Japanese Maples.
And while we are at it will the leaves on Deshojo turn green when they harden off or is this a true red leaf variety? I'm looking around at my own seedlings and can't remember which cuttings came from green maples and which are from red.
yep on the genetics, same as people and their siblings aside from identical twins -what if you’ve a natural clone of yourself, how interesting would that be? suppose with the tree you’d need to get Maury involved

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
'Deshojo' is an actual cultivar. The only way to get a 'Deshojo' is from another 'Deshojo'. Giving a plant a cultivar name is what distinguishes it as a unique specimen of that species. Each and every 'Deshojo' around the world came from the same plant.

I believe 'Deshojo' flushes out fire engine red, then turns green for the summer then red for fall. Peter of Heron's Bonsai talks a lot about his 'Deshojo's' you should see his YouTube videos.

Some JM leaves stay red all year, others flush out red then green. Each one is unique.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I saw the flats but have no need for them so left for others. I was really considering redoing my benches to fit the massive conifer that was on the right. But am very happy to have gotten the maple instead! I’d love to see pics of the weirdos you got!
Maybe a crabapple & i'm not sure what the twig is. It must be important though if someone decided to grow it. :)
I repotted the Japanese maple this afternoon. It was nice to find not only was it planted in bonsai soil, but I discovered somebody was also nice enough to grow some new roots for me, thanks uncle Randy!

Attachments

• tempImage5bbon4.png
    tempImage5bbon4.png
    638.8 KB · Views: 21
  • C78142F4-C591-4760-BA25-95C985F714CA.jpeg
    C78142F4-C591-4760-BA25-95C985F714CA.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 22A71456-A944-48D3-8808-A49ECAFA80DC.jpeg
    22A71456-A944-48D3-8808-A49ECAFA80DC.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 994E0918-A532-4CC0-9E13-99A796DE3A63.jpeg
    994E0918-A532-4CC0-9E13-99A796DE3A63.jpeg
    383 KB · Views: 17
  • 562213CA-CC32-49EE-94FF-B0FF1D4E14E4.jpeg
    562213CA-CC32-49EE-94FF-B0FF1D4E14E4.jpeg
    390 KB · Views: 18

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh the twig looks like a smaller? one of the Japanese honey suckles(maybe not japanese but I for some reason remember him saying it) mark vossbrink gave me when I purchased a few pots

2297C899-EBDE-4407-9A35-E9A14D64D370.jpegCD1CC38C-AD88-4CF1-9F54-87E5CD2E6D61.jpeg

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, that’s me! So glad you enjoyed the penjing. If you’re really looking for chojubai, check with Gretchen at River Rock nursery. She has some that aren’t quite ready for sale, but will be in a month or so. She is usually at the BSOP meetings.
I just needed to chime in that I thought the penjin displays were awesome!

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Triple posting but the more I think on it. And I’ll have to ask mark but it might be an Oregon native rather, the honeysuckle that is.

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe a crabapple & i'm not sure what the twig is. It must be important though if someone decided to grow it. :)
I repotted the Japanese maple this afternoon. It was nice to find not only was it planted in bonsai soil, but I discovered somebody was also nice enough to grow some new roots for me, thanks uncle Randy!
I spoke to mark today. He said they’re box honeysuckles.

He suggests wiring and such young as they’re brittle branches when older.

he showed me another honeysuckle variety he had that was massive. I’ll likely be keeping mine as a small accent piece but they seem to have promise.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I spoke to mark today. He said they’re box honeysuckles.

He suggests wiring and such young as they’re brittle branches when older.

he showed me another honeysuckle variety he had that was massive. I’ll likely be keeping mine as a small accent piece but they seem to have promise.
IMG_1261.jpeg
ooh, i got one of those :cool:

Top Bottom