Chojubai - crossroads

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My dilemma with this guy is whether to continue expanding the tree this year and potting into a larger pot, or going the opposite direction with the tree and reducing it into a nice small clump. I think it has potential going both directions, which is why I’m a bit torn. Thoughts?...image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I think you've got two trees there. There's a clump style with a little upright shohin sitting on top of it.

If you continue with the current direction I think the mismatch between the top and bottom will increase. There's no link between the upper section and the tangled mass of roots and shoots at the bottom.

I might try layering off the top (just above the point where the trunk splits into three major roots). Then cut back the lower shoots hard, and wire more movement into the next set of twigs that emerge. You've got a good basis for a twisted, tangled clump style there.

The advice 'air layer it' is over-used, but in this case I think it's appropriate. If the layer doesn't work you still have an interesting clump to work with.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That’s a pretty respectable trunk for a Chojubai. I would work it as a single trunk, planted a bit deeper and tilted a bit to the left to bury the gap in the base. I’d make cuttings from all the suckers and start a new clump from them!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That’s a pretty respectable trunk for a Chojubai. I would work it as a single trunk, planted a bit deeper and tilted a bit to the left to bury the gap in the base. I’d make cuttings from all the suckers and start a new clump from them!

Thanks for the response and valuable input. I hope to decide this year before it’s moving. Below is my main cutting donor. It’s a hot tangled mess I intend to make something out of eventually.image.jpg
image.jpg

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Flowers starting to move. Beer fridge is the stand. Available at your local Lowe’s...View attachment 223569
Like Brian said that’s a pretty sizeable trunk for a chojubai, however it doesn’t have that typical craggy bark that comes with age? It’s smooth because it’s simply not that old dispite it’s size or can it be chalked up to genetics?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Like Brian said that’s a pretty sizeable trunk for a chojubai, however it doesn’t have that typical craggy bark that comes with age? It’s smooth because it’s simply not that old dispite it’s size or can it be chalked up to genetics?
Likely a mix of genetics and growing one hard for trunk caliper and another slowly for the craggy look. Slow grown one in the pic below. I only started growing chojubai in ‘07-08ish, so not exactly the foremost expert. But I have good luck with them so far.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom