Chojubai for sale

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Any Chojubai lovers out there? I have a few for sale. 8 year old established trees on up to old, beautiful specimen trees. Here's a sampling.

Attachments

• IMG_5925.JPG
    IMG_5925.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_5828.JPG
    IMG_5828.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 636

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How do you think they'd do in Houston, Don? I don't know anyone here that grows them.

Scott

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
The one thing that has been interesting to me as I have purchased different ones from around this country is some reds bloom more of an orange base (majority) and one has a deep nice red. It's not the soil (ph) as thy have been repotted many times since purchase. I believe there are some different variants out there.

I wish I had marked down and kept track of where i got the good red one from...But I didn't.

I'm just happy to see there are several suppliers out there, where you can get them from. :)

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Home Depot has three different colors of red this spring in my area.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The one thing that has been interesting to me as I have purchased different ones from around this country is some reds bloom more of an orange base (majority) and one has a deep nice red. It's not the soil (ph) as thy have been repotted many times since purchase. I believe there are some different variants out there.

I wish I had marked down and kept track of where i got the good red one from...But I didn't.

I'm just happy to see there are several suppliers out there, where you can get them from. :)

You are supposed to be able to propagate from cuttings very easy too... Check out The International Bonsai Article on it. If you want some more to be just like a specific one you own, that should be a sure fire way to replicate it, and it won't cost you anything! I found one that blooms a beautiful red color at Lowes this Spring and I plan on splitting off about 4 trunks from the same pot to make a group planting, and use one as a line specimen- giving me a couple nice trees for one $17 purchase- and when It stops flowering (IF it ever stops- been going for two months+ since I bought it!) I will try a few cuttings as well. I read how to make a nice clump style from them ( the most commonly produced style) and I think it will be doable with the ones I have.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I'd be very surprised if the box store trees are dwarf Japanese quince (chojubai). I have seen Japanese quince at box stores and landscape shops but never chojubai. Check before you purchase because they are not the same.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Also thought I'd mention, early blooms tend to be more red and then fade a little as they age.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Home Depot has three different colors of red this spring in my area.

I checked with my local chateau depot garden mgr, they have access to 'hime','embers', 'toyo nishiki' and some kind of texas scarlett hybrid but no chojubai in their system. I think the hime are pretty similar though.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Don's right on...so often I see many who don't know the difference between chojubai and japanese flowering. Known as the quince guy around here, I have about 50 different quince
including numerous chinese flowering.

Bill does a great job with his International bonsai Mag and he even helped me to get a hold
on a copy of modern bonsai Magazine from japan that featured this dwarf. I had it translated
for a small fortune into english. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3148.JPG
    IMG_3148.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 366

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry I thought quince were quince. I picked up the Texas scarlet this year. Awesome colored red flowers. I thought the word chojubai identified all of the varieties. I'm new to them. Seems you could do the same thing with any of them. Except the hybrids would be improved.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Sorry I thought quince were quince. I picked up the Texas scarlet this year. Awesome colored red flowers. I thought the word chojubai identified all of the varieties. I'm new to them. Seems you could do the same thing with any of them. Except the hybrids would be improved.

Japanese Quince are great, but Dwarf Japanese Quince (chojubai) are superior. I have both.

Chojubai leaves are much smaller. Growth is more compact with shorter internodes and contorted branching. Bark is amazing, rough and flaky, almost corking. Flowers are a little smaller and much more dense. They do grow much slower though.

There's nothing wrong with Japanese Quince, but its not an apples to apples comparison.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Don, glad you started this thread. I appreciate your working with me to find something that caught my eye. Looking forward to seeing your work in person. :)

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Pm sent, enjoy the red (not chojubai) I got from you of eBay.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow. Glad I tried my Texas scarlet first. Actually theses little guys your selling are pretty neat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom