Chojubai: Help!

DamianTrimboli

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
2 weeks ago I bought this chojubai in Italy (End of winter but the plant feeling it like spring) and I brought it here to Buenos Aires, Argentina (end of summer, but same temperatures as in Italy).
I brought other trees too, pines, maples, umes, and they are all great and perfect after the trip.

But, unfortunately I think the chojubai is dying :/ what do you think it is happening and what do you recommend me to do? thanks for all your help!

The tree on saturday 16th (already here in BA):
3f46651e-5785-4cfc-965a-7cc863b2e82e.JPG
The tree yesterday (18th):
IMG_2340-1.jpgIMG_4169.jpg
and now (19th) :
IMG_6518.jpgIMG_6518.jpgIMG_1112.jpgIMG_2820.jpgIMG_1483.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3189.jpg
    IMG_3189.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a difficult move.

I Don't know how they transition plants to different hems, but it can't be easy!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I would just keep it in shade and watch the water. You will know in a few more days if it will bud out again. I don't like the prognosis on this one... new leave wilted normally a sign of issues with the roots.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
2 weeks ago I bought this chojubai in Italy (End of winter but the plant feeling it like spring) and I brought it here to Buenos Aires, Argentina (end of summer, but same temperatures as in Italy).
I brought other trees too, pines, maples, umes, and they are all great and perfect after the trip.

But, unfortunately I think the chojubai is dying :/ what do you think it is happening and what do you recommend me to do? thanks for all your help!

View attachment 232840
View attachment 232841View attachment 232842
and now (19th) :
View attachment 232843View attachment 232843View attachment 232845View attachment 232846View attachment 232847
Suggest shade and occasional misting if possible. Careful with the watering as well. These guys are thirstier than about anything else I’ve ever grown, but make sure it’s taking up water. Don’t want to drown it.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Chaenomeles, flowering quince, do not tolerate drying out. Keep it moist. It could be suffering from the extreme low humidity of the air while on the airplane.

As others suggested, bright shade, stay on top of watering. Don't let it get too dry. Don't repot for at least 6 months.

It should make it.

Protect from frost or freezing in your upcoming winter. It will likely only take 18 months for it to flip it's seasons. In two years it will be flowering in your spring.

DamianTrimboli

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
hey Guys! thanks for all your suggestions, but it is gettings worse!
My only hope now is that sometime in the next weeks it buds again.. but current leaves are ruined.
current state:
IMG_6429.jpg

the other trees i brought in the same trip:
IMG_5146.jpg
they are doing great as you can see.. all that table.
2 cork bark jbp, 1 seigen japanese maple, 1 trident maple, 1 small thunbergii, 1 satsuki azalea, 1 jwp.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's an early spring grower. It expects lengthening photoperiod and you are thwarting it. Give it 16 hours a day of light any way you can, shortcut the flowering/seed maturing period by picking all flowers off, and nurture bud build for next year. It will probably be ready for dormancy just about the time your spring begins, so if it loses alot of leaves when it might have begun inflating new leaves, just let it do whatever it does. It may look dead, but just be in a dormant period which would be much shorter than a normal winter. If you're lucky, it will flower poorly in November or December and recombobulate its internal clock and return to normal the following spring. I'm guessing, of course.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
“If I were you, I would put it in the shady area with a lot of humidity. Good luck!
Thụ Thoại

Cenovak

Seedling
Reaction score

View attachment 232840
View attachment 232841View attachment 232842
and now (19th) :
View attachment 232843View attachment 232843View attachment 232845View attachment 232846View attachment 232847
Did your tree die? Did you ever figure out what was wrong?

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Maybe put a bag over it to create a more humid condition.

DamianTrimboli

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
yeah, that one died.. the following month I bought another one and started to have the same issue, I ended up doing what some of you told me here and also what Michael Hagedorn recommended.
I simulated a spring in fall with artificial grow lights, and drenched the roots in ZeroTol and moved it to a bigger pot with large pomice. It lost some branches but now is thriving.

When I bought it April 2019:
photo_2019-05-13 15.29.57.jpeg

Starting to die, 1 month later:
IMG_6934.jpg

Dying, after moving it to pomice:

image1 (1).jpeg

Really bad:
image2.jpeg

And now, after 5 years:
image0 (1).jpegimage1 (2).jpegimage2 (1).jpeg

Top Bottom