Chojubai quince where to buy?

marc206

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have been searching all over online and cannot find seedlings. Evergreengardenworks is out this year. Does anyone know where I could purchase some?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've been looking for chojubai for good money for ages here in EU, found this http://www.bonsaistudio.hu/chaenomeles-japonica-shohin-pre-bonsai-02-/ ...not labeled as chojubai, but for me it looks like it. What would you say?
You'd need to see it in flower to be sure, but definitely looks like it. Keep in mind there are numerous genetic deviations in "chojubai", so they don't all look alike. I have several from different sources and they're all slightly different in terms of bark, flowers, etc.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What do you think, is this chojubai? It's from the e-shop web page, it's some 25 cm tall for a measure and labeled as Ch. speciosa...
16-0616xm.jpg
I ordered the younger one for 6€; it's still being on its way with some young itoigawas and nice azalea cultivars, so I can't wait...
Ch.speciosa_9er_Topfo.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
What do you think, is this chojubai? It's from the e-shop web page, it's some 25 cm tall for a measure and labeled as Ch. speciosa...
View attachment 108041
I ordered the younger one for 6€; it's still being on its way with some young itoigawas and nice azalea cultivars, so I can't wait...
View attachment 108042

There are dozens of Chaenomeles speciosa cultivars. Both 'Kan Toyo' and Chaenomeles speciosa "Hime" and several others that have leaves that are as small as "Chojubai", the bark in the image is either very young or is something other than 'Chojubai", Since "chojubai" is a desired cultivar, and could get a better price than other Chaenomeles speciosa cultivars, if the add did not say 'Chojubai" it probably is not Chojubai. It will take time, to be certain. If the flowers look right, then you still have to wait the years, even decade or so to see if it develops the rough bark of 'Chojubai" , with out a good provenance, there is no way to tell with 100% confidence what cultivar it is. Putting a name on it would only be a guess.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you for the response. Hmm, at least it's some dwarf cultivar with small leaves and red flowers. I will try to find and read more about Ch. speciosa cultivars and :) wait. The two cultivars you mentioned - 'Kan Toyo' with wht / pink flowers can be excluded and 'Hime' with bright red flowers with yellow anthers... this mine should have red flowers according the seller.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ah, giving up ID, it's theoretically impossible and will wait for bark.

Attachments

• 1963-23--cultivars-in-the-genus-chaenomeles.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 12
Top Bottom