Chojubai quince

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two different organic administered one month apart...some inorganic prior to that

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Chojubai get leaves like this from time to time. Last year I got a couple of ivory leaves. It's normal to get a few at a time, but this looks like more. Try fertilizer with chelated iron or one formulated for acid loving plants.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The deficiencies are a result of an open mix combined with irregular or inadequate fertilizing. Quince do much better in a fine mix. particles about 1mm or so. They LIKE loam, they LIKE peat, and they don't need an open modern type mix at all. You will have far fewer problems with a tighter mix. To feed in this type of mix you definitely should use a slow release organic cake or something AND supplement with a good hydroponic fertilizer every week at least to keep quince happy.
Also, there is at least one clone of chojubai going around which is infected with virus which shows up as yellow variegations. There's nothing you can do about that but I don't think yours is that one.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Quince do much better in a fine mix. particles about 1mm or so. They LIKE loam, they LIKE peat, and they don't need an open modern type mix at all.

That is how it works here too. Even when eventually put in a Bonsai pot, I just dress the top 1/2 inch or so with volcanic mix or similar so it looks better then. I use 1/3rd each of Premium Topsoil(solid black fine ground compost), Course Silica Sand, and perlite. The huge hedge row at the farm gave me the idea - they have been growing in loam for over 50 years now. I tried all types of inorganics and killed a few prior to that and also found they don't do good in the ground in a clay based soil. That same mix works very good on many shrubs and for azalea, bougainvillea, and a few others I add the ground peat.
This one is evidence of good green full growth -

IMG_1137.JPG

Grimmy

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Why does my well fertilized Chojubai in boon-like mix look variegated this year?

Your soil looks really wet. Any time I see the top of the soil particles growing algae, it is an indicator that the soil never even partially dries out.

You can get yellow leaves on a chojubai if you overwater. Your soil mix sounds good, but for some reason your photos look a lot more swamp-like than what I was expecting to see with a nice open particulate mix.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Your soil looks really wet. Any time I see the top of the soil particles growing algae, it is an indicator that the soil never even partially dries out.

My eyes never got past the leafs - good observation ;) In the picture of one of mine I keep it in dappled sun under cover of an old landscape Japanese Red Maple so it is protected from to much rain. Also over the years it seems none of the Quince handle honest FULL sun. Kind of tricky over here but doable as are Satsuki and Cotoneaster.

Why does my well fertilized Chojubai in boon-like mix look variegated this year?

Best I can think of if it has been ok for a few years is you moved it to a far to low light condition and/or it has been getting rained on far to much.

Grimmy

Last edited:

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What exactly is the soil mix? Looks fairly organic, so not necessarily boon-like if it is. Also, what are you fertilizing with? Does it include the needed micro-nutrients (stuff other than NPK)? I like organic ferts. like most, but many don't have all the micro-nutrients the tree needs. I've been using Foxfarms GrowBig weekly, in addition to an organic pellet on the soil surface. GrowBig organic based, but with some added punch so it covers the micro-nutrients.

Lastly, how hard is your water? Hard water can interrupt the plant's ability to use the fertilizer you give it. I had it so bad I moved to an RO water system for the bonsai. Makes all the difference for me.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Soil mix is 1/3 or slightly more pumice, 1/3 lava, 1/3 or less akadama. There could be a little residual turface there, but not much. There was a little sphagnum placed on top at last repot 2 years ago. It was a wet winter. It's in sort of dappled shade with late afternoon sun. Organic fertilizer is:
IMG_6420.PNG IMG_6421.PNG

Inorganic would be liquid miracle grow and rare osmocote. I'll try moving it to a sunnier spot. Thanks everyone!

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And I'll make sure it gets something with iron next time I fertilize.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And I'll make sure it gets something with iron next time I fertilize.

I'll try moving it to a sunnier spot.

It should be fine. The one I showed in the picture is presently in a 1 1/2 Gallon Nursery pot filled 2/3 with stone covered in mesh leaving about 3 1/2 inches for substrate. As you can see in the picture the soil surface looks dry - I don't water it until the top 1 or 2 of the substrate dries. If it is the beginning of your growing season you should see a lot of new leaf budding as the old drops - just takes time is all ;)

Grimmy

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
- they have been growing in loam for over 50 years now.

Grimmy

You can't argue with that no matter how hard you try! ;) We (some folks) tend to use too open a mix for a lot of species. All the rosacea like fine mixes. Plums, apples, roses, etc. Pure medium akadama is good too. No need for anything else expect maybe for some organics to hold more water. With a finer mix you can also use a smaller pot.

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Probably not a problem for you in Oregon but what is your water pH? I had trouble with Chojubai yellowing until I measured and adjusted my pH to below 7.

Top Bottom