chojubai seedlings questions

Shay

Mame
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have started some japanese quince from seed last spring. There are about 20 seedlings in a colander. Attaching a photo from today.
I am looking for some directions on how to grow them properly.
Ideal repoting time?
How sensitive are they with root work?
Whats the best way to get them thick fast? No grwond to plant them in yet.
Thank you!
Shay

Attachments

• IMG_20161221_230017.jpg
    IMG_20161221_230017.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20161221_230054.jpg
    IMG_20161221_230054.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 82

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
@Shay look real close on those. It looks like you might have some fungus issues. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can chime in. I am going to have some similar questions on development to have that nice ramified look.

Mine is quite a bit bigger but I want it to develop right.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have started some japanese quince from seed last spring. There are about 20 seedlings in a colander. Attaching a photo from today.
I am looking for some directions on how to grow them properly.
Ideal repoting time?
How sensitive are they with root work?
Whats the best way to get them thick fast? No grwond to plant them in yet.
Thank you!
Shay

Hey Shay, typically Quince are re potted in the Fall in Japan because of a nematode issue they seem to have in early spring. I've repotted in fall and early spring/late winter when the buds just start to swell and both work fine in my climate. Not sure what your seasons are like in Israel. I don't know if those are actually Chojubai or not, looks more like another variety of Japanese quince to me. Japanese Quince seem more hardy and can handle a bit more work than Chojubai which is a dwarf form of Japanese Quince. I like using a mix of akadama, pumice and lava for repotting. If those were my seedlings I would separate them all our during your re-potting season and grow them out. Check out Michae's blog for great info on working with quine. https://crataegus.com/

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Spring is best, also summer can work. Only repot in the fall if you can protect it from freezing and wind during the winter.

Also, those are not Chojubai, but are definitely Quince. I agree with Yenling, seperate them when you repot and put them into 1 gallon plastic pots. Let the extensions run long before cutting back in the early years. Wire once or twice a year, depending on the vigorousness of your growing season.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
All I know is that I wish I would have learned that Chojubai Reds love the heat and do great in Vegas. I would have been concentrating on them for years...

Shay

Mame
Reaction score
The seeds I got were labeled as Chojubai and were sent from a reliable site... What makes the difference?
Thank you all for replying.
We don't have acadama here and I use lava, perlite and vermiculite in my mixes.
Thanks again!
Shay

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
i repotted one of mine last weekend.. bad timing i know.. we'll see how it goes, keeping it warm for the moment

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
All I know is that I wish I would have learned that Chojubai Reds love the heat and do great in Vegas. I would have been concentrating on them for years...
I only have chojubai maybe less than 3 months.

So far based on what im seeing it can handle weather here in central valley. But need to be on 50% shade cloth. I will give you guys an update after a year or two.

Top Bottom