Chojubai trees coming from Japan on ebay??

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just checked ebay and I see a bunch of chojubai trees with free shipping from Japan?

Has anyone seen this?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's a screen shot

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-04-05-10-59-17.png
    Screenshot_2018-04-05-10-59-17.png
    283.3 KB · Views: 130
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's what I thought.
Hmm, let's see how long it stays on ebay.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The fine print is at the bottom. I don't believe this is meant for the US market...

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
You cannot legally buy these and have them shipped to you from japan.
I think it's actually the other way around. There is no problem buying it and for them to send them to you. What is problematic is getting them into your country. Usually for plants a phytosanitary certificate is required that proves the plants were disinfected properly before shipment. Not sure they provide it. For conifers a certain amount of time in quarantine is required while AFAIK this is not a requirement for deciduous trees.

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In the US, you can't bring in trees from Japan w/out quarantine first. That applies to deciduous, conifers, etc.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Interesting. I was curious and pulled this up. If you notice the seller is called KDmarketing. If you look at the other items they have for sale it's super random. My best guess would be that some Japanese marketing company listed a bunch of items from Japan and the trees just got thrown in there. It's definitely illegal to import, I would not purchase.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s not illegal to import. It’s illegal to import certain species and even with those certain species it’s legal if under 12 inches in height. That’s why so much shohin make it to USA

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It’s not illegal to import. It’s illegal to import certain species and even with those certain species it’s legal if under 12 inches in height. That’s why so much shohin make it to USA
But don't they need quarantined Al? It's not illegal...just protocol to follow. I would be leery buying from a Japan seller...but some trees sold say from Matt...are properly attained. I know the hoops to get something in from Honduras. It's just not worth it to me.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
But don't they need quarantined Al? It's not illegal...just protocol to follow. I would be leery buying from a Japan seller...but some trees sold say from Matt...are properly attained. I know the hoops to get something in from Honduras. It's just not worth it to me.
FYI I’ve bought 15-20 pots from Japanese sellers on EBay without a problem yet. Just make sure it’s a reputable seller. Definitely wouldn’t try to smuggle in a tree though! Just an FYI to not be afraid to purchase from JPN if you ever see a pot that catches your eye.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
FYI I’ve bought 15-20 pots from Japanese sellers on EBay without a problem yet. Just make sure it’s a reputable seller. Definitely wouldn’t try to smuggle in a tree though! Just an FYI to not be afraid to purchase from JPN if you ever see a pot that catches your eye.
Oh, I've bought other things from all over the world. Japan included...just not trees. ? but appreciate your heads up. I got this from Japan...not on eBay. But another site...from the potter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 89

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They can be quarantined in Japan or USA. I buy pots and scrolls from Japan all the time. Some come in pretty big boxes. I'm sure plants can be shipped thru and make it to buyers here in the state with contraband (illegal unquarantined trees)in them. Just depends how large your cajones are.

ralf

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well, I have a lot nice and relatively large cajones. With cojones it's a bit different story though.

Still, I would love to have chojubai...

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Who was that dude who brought an Olive from Israel?
He posted somewhere here and although it did arrive with no issue a few months later the federales showed up and confiscated his tree.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They can be quarantined in Japan or USA. I buy pots and scrolls from Japan all the time. Some come in pretty big boxes. I'm sure plants can be shipped thru and make it to buyers here in the state with contraband (illegal unquarantined trees)in them. Just depends how large your cajones are.
Honestly...isn't bringing in a tree that was unquarentined also...a risk to ones own collection? It's just not worth it. No mater if one has cajoles or not. Lol

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Also free shipping.... for these prices i think it’s safe to say it’s included
Here you can see what they sell for in japan (not everything in the link is chojubai but I think you can see) prices are in yen offcourse
https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search...084207359&tab_ex=commerce&fixed=0&s1=end&o1=a
Unbelievable. Makes me upset how ridiculous us Americans are when it comes to pricing Bonsai.

Google says that this tree is only about $28 USD? If so that’s insane. It would go for ten times that here if not more.

Attachments

• 89220F14-1258-4F77-833B-2F9E761E7807.png
    89220F14-1258-4F77-833B-2F9E761E7807.png
    181.9 KB · Views: 49
Top Bottom