Chojubai Weak

DamianTrimboli

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello! i'm having problems with a Chojubai i brought from Barcelona 3 weeks ago. I'm in Buenos Aires (Southern hemisphere), I tried to simulate a spring here because it is getting cold.

April 11 (barcelona):
april 11.jpeg

April 19 (barcelona):

april 19.jpeg
May 1 (barcelona):
may 1.png
May 9 (barcelona):
may 9.jpeg
May 13 (barcelona):
may 13.jpeg
May 16 (Barcelona): (Applied nematicide and 3 days later copper fungicide)
may 16.jpeg
June 4 (Buenos Aires): (Applied Phyton-27)
june 4.png
June 12 (buenos aires): (Simulating spring)
june 12.jpg

Attachments

• june 4.jpg
    june 4.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 31

DamianTrimboli

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
June 13 (Buenos Aires): (Leaves drying, but new leaves forming)
june 13.jpgjune 13 2.jpgjune 13 3.jpg
June 23 (Buenos Aires): (Put on bigger pot without touching roots with medium pumice)
june 23 1.jpegjune 23 2.jpegjune 23 3.jpegjune 23 4.jpegjune 23 5.jpeg
June 26 (Buenos Aires): (New leaves drying)
june 26 1.jpegjune 26 2.jpeg

Do you know what its happening and what should I do? :/

Thank you so much!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This tree needs a dormancy period...So, I'm not familiar with climate of where it came...How far different in climates you are...Thinking couldn't have been far off. For they are assuming zone friendly in both places.

What was your reasoning to stimulate spring...verses allow it to go dormant? I know...the red chojubai are a finicky species even in the right climate. Wish I had more to offer...just trying to understand the reasoning first and foremost, the reason you didn't want to allow for dormancy?

Also...what sun is this getting? Morning or afternoon? For I was told not to allow them afternoon sun it's to hot.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think this one has passed the point of return from the death. It has been declining for the last couple months. As I mentioned in other post, you know if the tree going to die weeks before it actually die. Maybe an emergency repot? If you have to try to stimulate Spring/Winter for it then it fail sooner or later

DamianTrimboli

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What I did last saturday was to move it into a bigger pot with medium pumice in the botton and on the sides of the original root mass.. roots were ok in my opinion.

I see it declining too.. 2 weeks ago I thought it was recovering, leaves stopped turning yellow and falling off and new leaves were emerging.. I finally thought i was doing ok, then.. leaves started to dry and fall.. I think i prefer the yellowing!

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stop messing with it! :)

Yellowing inner leaves are old leaves generally dropping from no longer being necessary. (The tree is finding the newer leaves are providing a better return—energy input—on effort expended.)

The brown leaves on June 13 look to me like minor light burn.

Is it indoors? The light colored, wrinkly leaves look like sign of poor environmental conditions. These trees like air flow and handle chilly weather (10–20ºC) just fine.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Quince are very finicky trees. If you leave it alone and give it the right watering, soak then let dry a touch between watering, it may grow new leaves. But you have to leave it be for now to see if it can recover.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What I did last saturday was to move it into a bigger pot with medium pumice in the botton and on the sides of the original root mass.. roots were ok in my opinion.

I see it declining too.. 2 weeks ago I thought it was recovering, leaves stopped turning yellow and falling off and new leaves were emerging.. I finally thought i was doing ok, then.. leaves started to dry and fall.. I think i prefer the yellowing!
Chojubai love to pout and lose their leaves when disturbed, they generally dislike repotting as well, put it in the shade, keep it damp, not wet and leave it be. They often recover when least expected. Key is to leave it alone, it has had enough stress.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nohem to Sohem....

That's some acclamation.

Jetlag of death.

Sorce

DamianTrimboli

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Update: this is the tree now:

unnamed.jpgunnamed-2.jpgunnamed-3.jpgunnamed-4.jpgunnamed-5.jpgunnamed-6.jpg

But we are really hitting winter here, having lows of 35 ºF (2ºC) (My JWPs like that! haha) so I don't expect it to grow much more...

Btw, do you (or know who) sell chojubai rooted cuttings or bonsai/pre-bonsai in the US? Im travelling there next week.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update: this is the tree now:

View attachment 250190View attachment 250191View attachment 250192View attachment 250193View attachment 250194View attachment 250195

But we are really hitting winter here, having lows of 35 ºF (2ºC) (My JWPs like that! haha) so I don't expect it to grow much more...

Btw, do you (or know who) sell chojubai rooted cuttings or bonsai/pre-bonsai in the US? Im travelling there next week.
That would depend on where in the USA you will be visiting? If you are in the Pacific Northwest, i would suggest Bonsai Northwest as a source! You have to ask, the smaller rooted cuttings are usually in a less visible area behind the main display greenhouse;)

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks! Well, I'll be in Sunnyvale (CA) and Santa Monica (CA), they are in Seattle.. do you know if they ship trees?
In that case check with Lone Pine Gardens ( Sebstapol ) or Brent at Evergreen they are both in California. Easy to find on the internet. Others on this forum from California can probably add quite a few more suggestions.

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
In that case check with Lone Pine Gardens ( Sebstapol ) or Brent at Evergreen they are both in California. Easy to find on the internet. Others on this forum from California can probably add quite a few more suggestions.

I was at Lone Pine Gardens two weeks ago, and they had four red chojubai rooted cuttings in 2 inch pots. When I left, they only had three :). They also had a pretty large selection of other quince cultivars in both two and four inch pots. I doubt they ship trees, but I guess it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

It’s a wonderful nursery to visit. The nursery covers 3 acres (I believe), they have quality material, and the people there are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Top Bottom