Chojubai White

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yesterday, my chojubai shohin popped open one flower, so today, I took this shot. The open flower may be hard to see, but it is just to the right of center in this image.

As you can see, there will be a lot more activity flower-wise, but an acquaintance from Kyoto once advised me that catching just one flower open was the most desirable thing. I've tried to follow his advice.

In the chojubai-world, there is a lot of discussion about the red variant vs. the white. The red is preferred due to the ramification, but I prefer the white. First, it is easier to keep alive. Second, the chojubai white is incredibly floriferous. And finally, these are tough little guys.

The pot is Chinese, and signed Wen Hui. It is not clear to me whether Wen Hui is an actual person, or whether it is an address, because there is a Wen Hui street in the Yixing area. The pot is porcelain and painted in enamel with raised black outlines.

Anyway, I wanted to share my single blossom with you.

Attachments

• chojubai B 2-11-13 ul.jpg
    chojubai B 2-11-13 ul.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 128

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Hey fred! Thank-you!! I understand your love of the white for the same reasons. I had two open up and i thought I'd wait but if you were so enthusiastic to post for one then i had no excuse but to show mine. :) my reds are poking leaves now and my oranges still need to drop last year's leaves.

Attachments

• IMG_2802.JPG
    IMG_2802.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 40

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
here's a pic of my bigger older white. It's planted in a Korean plastic, the biggest one i could find. I put a pr of pillars in the shot to help with getting a sense of the size.I hope to transfer it this year tp a green glazed round ceramic pot made back in 1978 by local potter Sharon Muth.

Attachments

• IMG_2804.jpg
    IMG_2804.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 107

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
every once in awhile, a guy gets a break. Our retail nursery store decided they were going to
sell their "mother plant" and discontinue their starts for retail. So I made an offer and got it.
Michael Hagedorn, who also loves chojubai was my teacher then and he helped me style it. I have a couple of medium sized whites and a few starts in the collection.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're very lucky.

I'm wondering, does anybody else have a chojubai of any kind out there? If so, please post.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Over the last couple years, I've been acquiring the 2.5 inch pot size cutting grown starts of virtually the whole list of flowering quince from Brent Walston at Evergreen Garden Works. I discovered Chochubai red really is a bit less vigorous or forgiving of errors than Chojubai White. Leaf and growth wise I think the best for Shohin and as accent plantings are both Chojubai types, Kan Toyo, and Hime. They all have small leaves and reasonably fine branching.

Hime has nice red-orange flowers, more red than orange for me. Looks like it will be great.

Kan Toyo has smaller leaves and color splashed flowers similar to Toyo Nishiki. It seems a lot better than Toyo Nishiki for smaller bonsai.

Though all can be kept quite small by diligent pruning.

Iwan Nishiki is a true gem flower wise, it has a similar medium to large growth habit of Toyo Nishiki.

Attachments

• Iwai-NishikiJune2011a.jpg
    Iwai-NishikiJune2011a.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 33

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Leo, nice to have another quince fan posting. You've chosen some beautiful smaller quinces that make lovely bonsai. Not chojubai, but still very enjoyable. :)

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leo, it sounds like you're trying a bunch of different varieties. For starter plants, you can't go wrong with Evergreen Gardenworks. Brent is a great guy, and his suggestions are very helpful. I've never seen an Iwa Nishiki bonsai. Do you have any pictures of the whole tree?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked up a chojubai white from Brent last year. Unfortunately it was "vole styled" early this winter so I don't have much to show. Hopefully it survives (it's just a small starter)...if it does, it's destined to spend some time in the ground to put on some size.

Toyo Nishiki is my fav of the quinces...simple, elegant, single flowers in a variety of colors.

Chris

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Toyo Nishiki is a beauty. To me, flowering quinces are under-appreciated in bonsai, at least here in the US. With or without flowers, there can be many points of interest in these trees.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I like toyo nishiki as well. I have two of them. One at the entrance to my japanese garden that is over 80 years old and one as bonsai that's about 30.When hagedorn was my teacher, I found one of his pots for sale and secured it. I asked him what to put in it and he encouraged me to put a whisteria. So I put a toyo in it instead :)

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I don't ...the quince is buried in the ground with the pot to get it thru winter but when it awakens and i take it out of the ground, I'll get a picture of it posted.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, how about a picture of your tree as it is? I think that quince without leaves and without flowers can be quite interesting to look at. I think others here would like to see it, too.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Fred, I had the sense you didn't want to take no for an answer, and i didn't want to dig it up and then have to re-bury it, so I took a bunch of quince pics, not very good, but maybe it'll do till the weather breaks...so i tried to upload it and several others but no luck must be others using the process. So when things are quiet, either this evening or in the am, I'll get them posted.
nothing classic, unfortunately

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll post a photo of toyo nishiki while we're waiting...probably posted this in another thread somewhere but I just like to see it!

Chris

toyo_nishiki_01.jpg

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice. The flowers on a toyo nishiki have a kind of radiance that no others do, I think.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Well I got three of 6 loaded :)

First is in the ground chinese quincei, second is toyo at entrance to japanese garden, 3rd is in ground toyo. The beauty of the chinese quince is the nebari, this spring I'll get a proper pic.

To privatize the garden to neighbors to the south and west, I created a hedge so you had to zigzag thru to get in. The actual entry way is "guarded" by two lion statues. Altho at the base of the hedge on the left is a welcoming cat granite statue.

Attachments

• IMG_2808.jpg
    IMG_2808.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2809.jpg
    IMG_2809.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2807.jpg
    IMG_2807.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 37
Top Bottom