Chojubai White

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had chojubai reds before. The flowers are gorgeous, but I found the reds to be cranky, and difficult. Having said that, Brian Van Fleet has done an excellent job with chojubai red. There are others, too.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice Fred! I’m going to airlayer some larger branches on quince next season , have you found them to airlayer easily ?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've not done chojubai, but have layered several other chaenomeles. They are indeed easily air layered. They are also easily ground layered just like azaleas - simply peg a stem to the ground.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have done ground layering, and I agree, it's easy. With chojubai it works well and gives the tree a distinctive look.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The spring was weird...very warm, then cool and finally cold and then very hot, often in the low 100s. I was traveling, so I carefully cut the flowers that had bloomed. But apparently, I missed one. I just discovered this fruit tonight.

quince 1.jpg

You can see it in the circle, but here's a better closeup:

quince 2.jpg

It's in the upper right center part of the picture. The quince fruit looks a lot like the leaves.

So, here's the mama and the baby.

quince 3.jpg

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty nice trunk on that.The white are more vigorous heh?
Looks good.
Yes. They are more vigorous. Still, I've found (to my dismay) that you have to pay attention to the whites, too, because things can and will go wrong with them. Just less often than with the reds. Thanks for the good words.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here we are again, with the first flush of flowers. These flowers are very early, at least in my experience. The pot I'm using here is by Sugiura Keisen. It functions less as a container and more like a slab because it is so shallow.
Nice container choice Fred! Good compliment to the flowers.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That seems to be one happy quince! So nice to see blooms in winter.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I missed the fruit post...? love the blooms. There are a handful of ones I see update or create posts that raises my pulse. You're one of them. Thanks for sharing...never disappointed.

Top Bottom