Chojubai White

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing.
Chojubai White 3-11-21.jpg
Since I posted last, things have changed for my Chojubai White. About a year ago or so, I did a photographic experiment with this tree viewed from different angles to simulate different planting angles.

I have a Tokoname pot by Seizan. It is square, visually weighty, and I wanted to see if I could find an angle that made my Chojubai, which is a slim and trim clump style, more important than the very heavy pot. Or, at the very least, the angle I sought should unite the Chojubai with the pot.

By most traditional standards, the Seizan pot is way too large for the quince, so I knew I had picked a difficult challenge.

I quickly realized that with the tree leaning forward in the pot, I still had to assume a point of view that was slightly above the tree, and relatively close to it. This position does two things: 1) It shortens the trunk, (yes, there is a trunk-like base to this clump) but leaves the nebari visible, and 2) All the lowest branches extend past the rim of the pot, thus making pot and tree a visual unit.

This is also the point of view that is most available to spectators at a bonsai show.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Beautiful tree Fred! Roughly how big is it if you dont mind. You're inspiring me to to start on my Mame one tomorrow sir.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Makes the flowers more pretty!

Sorce

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@vp999. The tree is 10.5" tall. Too big to be a shohin, so it's a Kifu. My plan is to keep it in Kifu range.

@Cadillactaste. Thanks!

@sorce. Many people prefer a glazed pot with smaller trees like this. I have spent years looking at this tree, and the white flowers don't have the luminous quality that white flowers on a Toyo Nishiki do. I found that this pot, with its flat color, sets the flowers off, much more than the glazed pots I've used.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The wider lip also allows for a good background to catch a flower over.

I really like it.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is reallly good.
If i ever want to try a chojubai. Which are the sources i can get the cuttings of a chojubai?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hard to see in flatscreen though it looks like it's growing well!

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The chojubai had a good growing season. Every October, before I take my trees in for the winter, I defoliate the Chojubai to avoid leaf-drop and the resulting clean-up. I also have a much better idea as to what I have to work with.

Chojubai White 4.jpg
The chojubai began flowering again in late August and didn't stop.

You can see the remaining flowers, but I was surprised to see a quince fruit well under way, near the top of the tree. I left it on for this picture, and then removed it.

I’m sure we’ve all heard the argument against having fruit on flowering quinces, because it saps the tree’s strength. I wonder if having a quince in an unusually deep pot would prevent this due to availability of more water.

This picture is an optimized anaglyph. Use red/cyan glasses to see the 3D.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
chojubai white 12-9-21.jpg

Chojubai White 12-9-21
In the general scheme of bonsai, the Chojubai Red is more favored than the Chojubai White. The reason generally given is that the Red has finer ramification than the White.

This is true, as far as it goes, but it overlooks one of the Chojubai White’s finest characteristics.

When the flowers on the Chojubai White first open, they aren’t white, but a pale yellow. As the flowers age, they gradually change from pale yellow to white. Then, they drop. Brent Walston, proprietor of Evergreen Gardenworks says of the White Chojubai: “This is a one of the smallest cultivars (but a bit larger than 'Chojubai Red) with very pale small yellow flowers. This is as close as one can get to the mythical yellow Quince.”

If you google “Mythical Yellow Quince,” you will get a number of hits concerning the role of the Yellow Quince and the Greek goddess of love, Aphrodite. It is worth checking out, because it will add to your appreciation of your Chojubai White bonsai.

This picture is an optimized anaglyph. Use red/cyan glasses to see the 3D.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This picture is an optimized anaglyph. Use red/cyan glasses to see the 3D
No idea what this means, but I do appreciate the thread and older photos.Has motivated me to check my Chojubai for progress. A few are reaching 10 -12 years from cuttings. I fully appreciate the nuances in colour variation. Nice tree!

Top Bottom