Choke cherry change up

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey nuts,
Here's another one of my works rejects that no one even looked at for 3 years. I took it home last year and started wiring it into a lame weeping tree. Well I've never been satisfied with its taper or size even so today I did a little change up.

Here's before, it was about 22 inches tall(and looked awful).20160705_074610.jpg
It was so tall I need bamboo to support it which is ridiculous for a bonsai. So I chopped it to the first branch and decided to continue with the weeping style.20160705_090430.jpg
It's a cute little stick in a pot. Quite the feminine tree.
Let here your thoughts on this lowly little cherry.

Aaron

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good thing you got growing covered!

I gotta a new name for a pitch, In gonna have my son throw it all weekend.

The Choke Cherry Change!

It'll be Choke Cherry to keep an wondering!

That's the best name for a pitch ever!

Thanks!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fast balls 1 And 2....
Banana slices....

Inside backem off pitch...Ice cream...
Outside try to get em reaching...whip cream.

Choke Cherry Change....Strike three...

Baseball Sundae!

Sorce

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Let here your thoughts on this lowly little cherry.

If you want to develop it in an exposed root style, which looks like an option here, I think you need to consider the ratio of trunk length to roots. In most convincing examples I've seen of that style, the roots actually make up most of the length of the trunk (google image search for 'neagari bonsai'). IF this species will back bud on a bare trunk, which I don't know, you could consider chopping it at around the point where the trunk crosses the horizontal part of the greenhouse frame in the background. Then work on developing some twigs, work the roots a bit more, and you could end up with a nice little flowering bonsai. That's about the best approach I can see for this material, which is otherwise unpromising to my eye.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah...I agree...

I would almost cover them roots up a bit...
Cuz when they fatten out some...this could be a dope exposed root.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you drunk :)

Baseball drunk!

We just went undefeated for the regular season.
Jag coach on the other team was trying to get in my son's head in the Champ game, ended up being a fiasco(full story by request), but he shut em out none the less....and jacked a line drive homer...they were pissed!

Sorce

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Baseball drunk!

We just went undefeated for the regular season.
Jag coach on the other team was trying to get in my son's head in the Champ game, ended up being a fiasco(full story by request), but he shut em out none the less....and jacked a line drive homer...they were pissed!

Sorce
Well, good for him, I thought you were having a flashback or something.... :)

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yeah...I agree...

I would almost cover them roots up a bit...
Cuz when they fatten out some...this could be a dope exposed root.

Sorce
If you want to develop it in an exposed root style, which looks like an option here, I think you need to consider the ratio of trunk length to roots. In most convincing examples I've seen of that style, the roots actually make up most of the length of the trunk (google image search for 'neagari bonsai'). IF this species will back bud on a bare trunk, which I don't know, you could consider chopping it at around the point where the trunk crosses the horizontal part of the greenhouse frame in the background. Then work on developing some twigs, work the roots a bit more, and you could end up with a nice little flowering bonsai. That's about the best approach I can see for this material, which is otherwise unpromising to my eye.

That's a good point, I'll bury them when I'm done feeding the trees, shut takes me like 6 hourso_O I also wouldn't feel good about chopping this thing down low considering the leaf size, I wanna keep it at least slightly in scale.

Aaron

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a good point, I'll bury them when I'm done feeding the trees, shut takes me like 6 hourso_O I also wouldn't feel good about chopping this thing down low considering the leaf size, I wanna keep it at least slightly in scale.

Aaron

I was wondering a out the leaf size...
I didn't think they were so big...

No reduction chance?

Reiterate....

Sorce

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was wondering a out the leaf size...
I didn't think they were so big...

No reduction chance?

Reiterate....

Sorce
They'll reduce about a third in the year I've worked it, but with more time I would imagine they'd shrink with more ramification and once it's in a pot.

Yes sorce, I'm very good at growing things;) why do you keep saying it? Lol:p

Aaron

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dat sumbytch needs it!

Sorce

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Little bastard is going to bloom this year...wasn't expecting it, but I'll take it!20170227_072207.jpg 20170227_072237.jpg
Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Repotted today, there were already new roots after @sorce told me to raise the soil level. Since this will be a literati Imy not worried about trunk growth, but I did want more exposed roots so I left the soil level raised.20170307_151639.jpg 20170307_152222.jpg
Cute pot my fiancé got me for now.

Aaron

Top Bottom