Choosing a pot

sfeagan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm still very new bonsai and can see myself doing it for years. Is there a rule or unwritten rule about choosing a certain shape/color pot for a specific tree? I had a co-worker years ago get me interested in bonsai and he said something about choosing pots but I don't remember what he said.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It must be red.....just kidding!

Sorce

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Broad strokes: conifers go in unglazed containers and deciduous go in glazed, ...though an unglazed container isn't a faux pas for deciduous necessarily. The pot should harmonize with the tree so a strong tree needs a strong pot and an elegant tree needs a pot that won't overpower it. Sharp corners are stronger/more masculine. Rounded, less so. Ornamentation, cut corners, and lobes tend to be more elegant. Daintier feet also make a pot more feminine.

There are whole articles/chapters written on pot selection, but some of the best I've seen are threads started here on pot selection. I'll try to find them if someone doesn't come along and link them for you.

Ryan Neil's recent video on ceramics was really well done as well, though I'm not sure that one made it to Youtube. It's in the archive for paid Mirai members.

sfeagan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That definitely helps me understand a little more. I love watching Bonsai Mirai and Peter Chan on YouTube.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Check out https://internationalbonsaionline.com/. The latest has an article where Kimura chooses a pot for a couple trees going into Kokufu. It doesn't answer what I think you were asking above, but does illustrate that subtle changes make a world of difference.

Marcus

Seed
Reaction score
I take it this antique Chinese tray is better with deciduous tree. I've tried to post pictures before but not sure I was successful. I new to the bonsai esthetic but finding this pot is sure a temptation.
I am planning a trip to Altoona, Washington following up on the history written on the bottom of the pot. New book "Deep River" which I'm just getting to, explorers the same area, which had a high population of Chinese back around 1900. Maybe i'll find another pot.

Think I've already posted pictures of the antique Chinese pot I found previously
in this site. Now difficult because of numbering system with e-mails and the many pictures I've taken since

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pots are to bonsai as frames are to paintings. They are there to set a mood and not stand out. The "rules" of conifers with unglazed pots and deciduous trees with glazed pots are not set in stone and never have been. They require interpretation in regards to the tree that's going in them

By and large, avoid pots that are ostentatious or scream "look at me." Don't mistake weird for good.

Do get out and look at actual decent bonsai pots. Pick them up, get an actual in person look at for what good ones feel like. If you can, got to professional bonsai shows, exhibits, look at quality trees online. for instance look through the "collections" pages here:

Some of the containers under those trees are worth more than the trees in them.

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
From another newbie perspective, I just keep asking questions here, going to shows, sales, clubs and of course online searches to just saturate my mind with pictures of different trees/pots. Make notes of what looks aesthetically pleasing and flows, especially from people in Bonsai who know what they’re doing. It’s funny looking back, I sometimes remember the trees and try to recall the pots. I can’t always recall the pots separately because I see the pot and the tree literally flowing as one. Like others have said, the pots needs to compliment the tree and definitely not overpower it. It’s about the tree after all. I try to take consideration of the feminine/masculine aspect, as well as the movement of the tree. If it’s a tree that has flowers, of course I would factor the colors of the flowers too. And lastly, the proportions are to be considered. My problem is if I see a pot that I love, I buy it even if I don’t have a tree for it yet. It’s an entirely separate addiction. I’m completely convinced the perfect tree will come along eventually.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From another newbie perspective, I just keep asking questions here, going to shows, sales, clubs and of course online searches to just saturate my mind with pictures of different trees/pots. Make notes of what looks aesthetically pleasing and flows, especially from people in Bonsai who know what they’re doing. It’s funny looking back, I sometimes remember the trees and try to recall the pots. I can’t always recall the pots separately because I see the pot and the tree literally flowing as one. Like others have said, the pots needs to compliment the tree and definitely not overpower it. It’s about the tree after all. I try to take consideration of the feminine/masculine aspect, as well as the movement of the tree. If it’s a tree that has flowers, of course I would factor the colors of the flowers too. And lastly, the proportions are to be considered. My problem is if I see a pot that I love, I buy it even if I don’t have a tree for it yet. It’s an entirely separate addiction. I’m completely convinced the perfect tree will come along eventually.
I have about three times as many pots as I do trees. Definitely buy pots because you like the pot and don't necessarily have a tree to go in it. It pays in the end to have options for trees.

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It pays in the end to have options for trees.
I've found eventually to be usually sooner than expected!
Indeed!! Nice to know I’m in good company with multiplying pots. That’s my summer/winter plans is to keep collecting more and more pots because I’m pretty sure this next spring time I will need A Lot.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have two suggestions……
First, resist buying pots simply because they’re inexpensive or ‘a great deal’. The pot is more than a container, or we’d be sticking trees in tin cans and plastic carry-out containers. The pot is a work of art in itself, and if you’re patient you will find—and recognize—pots that are aesthetically attractive. I’m talking about balance, proportion, walls that aren’t clunky or heavy, really nice glazes, etc. There are many makers who do a sloppy job of glazing and describe the resulting blobs, blotches, and asymmetrical smears of color as ‘artistic’.
Second, David de Groot’s book, ‘Principles of Bonsai Design’, has excellent information about matching trees and pots based on visual proportion. I haven’t seen it yet, but his revised second edition just came out. It might be easier to find than the first edition at this point.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmm. Having limited funds with most trees in development picking particular pot for certain tree perhaps ready for one waits until tree is ready AND so is financial ability🤔😜. And can find or get great pot made.

Master John Nakas Bonsai Techniques II has excellent section on this as well as color wheel for picking glazed pot😉. Hard to find BUT fellow club member or club library may have copy on hand.

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Well. I am a man with no pot or at least nothing worthwhile then. I will look when I have a worthwhile tree :)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pots are to bonsai as frames are to paintings. They are there to set a mood and not stand out
This is really what it is all about. Having worked in a frame shop adjoined to my gallery for nearly 10 years I had the opportunity to see a lot of horrendous over the top framing that needed to be rectified.
Being a potter has helped as well. Most of my best pots (generally from others) are still on the shelf waiting for their match.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My 1st issue is "dope" tree. I ain't got one :) In a few years I hope.
Well, waiting for the dopest tree takes a very long time. Pots give less-than-dope trees a little more dope 😁 . Speaking as a pot addict, I can say that I've got more than one or two mediocre trees in very nice pots and they look better for it.

Top Bottom