Choosing Material for Bonsai

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Some of the few certainties in bonsai include that you will need a tree to work with and that it will take many years to develop this tree into a bonsai. Many newbies (myself included) struggle to understand what is the best material to start off with and why, often times, folks here may suggest that a tree isn't great material to work with and that one should pass on certain material in favor of something else. So I thought I'd start a thread to help focus newbies on the material they are considering and perhaps provide a little guidance on how to look at material.

In choosing bonsai material to develop, I try to keep 2 things in mind: (i) where does this tree fit on the "bonsai timeline"; and (ii) any specific material will have both pros and cons. With respect to the first point, bonsai is very much "last in action, first in thought". Although we may refine and change our plans for a specific tree as we progress, it is helpful to have at least a general idea of the ultimate tree we want to develop early on. Then we can start to make plans for how to develop a specific piece of material into the desired ultimate bonsai. How tall will the tree be, how thick of a base do we want, where do we want movement/taper, and how will the branching look? Once we have a general idea of what we want to build, we can ask ourselves where on the bonsai timeline is this particular tree? For example, if I want a 4" trunk at the base and am considering a sapling as my potential material, I know I have many many years before I have the desired base.

A necessary corollary to the first point is that one needs to have an understanding of the bonsai development process in order to ascertain where along the timeline this tree is and whether one wants to proceed with it. While there are always exceptions to things in bonsai, building a tree from bottom up is generally an efficient way of proceeding. This means that we get our nebari set up to grow correctly and begin fattening up our trunks to get the desired base. We can then prune the tree as needed to create taper and movement. It is really only once we have this basic skeleton of the tree that we can start addressing placement of branches and begin the process of ramifying branches. Of course, one could simply purchase a more developed bonsai to get them further along the timeline, but that's not what we are discussing here. This is really a pre-bonsai discussion.

So what makes some pre-bonsai material better than others? To answer that, we need to again ask ourselves where on the timeline is this tree in relation to what I want from it? Of course, we want to start with healthy trees from reputable growers regardless of the actual material chosen. Nebari already growing radially is better than not for the simple reason that we don't need to spend the time redoing the nebari. Fatter base is better than sapling. Existing lower branching/movement and taper is better than the alternative because again we don't need to take the time to develop these as they already exist, thereby cutting the timeline down considerably. Remember, even with the head-start afforded by better pre-bonsai material, we are still in for a years' long developmental journey.
If that was all there was to choosing pre-bonsai, this would be a much easier process. Unfortunately, rare is the pre-bonsai that possesses all the desired qualities (like unicorn rare). Most of the time, we are forced to engage in a trade-off, picking the trees with the pros we want and having a plan to address the cons. For example, I personally do not enjoy working with saplings, and would much prefer a larger sized trunk. In addition to added cost, I typically pay for this choice in that I will receive a tree with sub-par nebari that is also stick-straight/no taper. It is a trade off - I am trading the time saved in growing the trunk for time to be spent improving the nebari and creating movement/taper. And I have gone the other way as well. Just yesterday, I purchased a discounted maple with a rather slim base (not even 1/2") because I was so impressed with the nebari on this little guy and will now work him into a shohin. Some people much prefer starting with a sapling so they can get the nebari growing correctly from the get-go and wire in movement before the tree is too thick. Some will ignore the nebari altogether, opting for a ground layer to create the nebari anew later in the process. There is no one right answer - rather, it's a calculus each practitioner needs to make with each tree. To be sure, there are countless quality levels of pre-bonsai that could ultimately be produced into the same quality tree. The question is only how much time and work needs to go into the trees to get them there. Simply stated, better pre-bonsai brings you further along the timeline.

To round this discussion out, when people suggest that material isn't good they typically mean one of three things: (i) the species chosen is simply not good for bonsai - Black locust is not the same kind of bonsai material as Japanese maple, for example; or (ii) the price of the prospective material is disproportionate to what you are actually receiving - you can do better elsewhere; or (iii) they may simply disagree with your timeline calculus (and that's fine - you can take it or leave it) - maybe you don't want to grow that sapling out for 15 years to get a sizable trunk, only to then start developing the tree, for example.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I appreciate your summary and insight here. As someone who has a tendency to overthink and not just do, having an idea of what to expect or the array or decisions involved in bonsai helps newbies like me. I too prefer larger pre bonsai and there isn't too much more exciting than finding that diamond in the rough! I bought a few yesterday based on the foliage but may go back and trunk/nebari search to see if there are some winners I missed.

Cheers

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't know why all beginners aren't simply told to get a Chinese elm to start.

Junipers are remarkably fragile.
Ginseng ficus are ugly, not actually used, have no upside, and people will laugh at you.
Chinese elms are bulletproof, actually used for bonsai, have limitless upside, and no one will laugh at you.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I get that. I think they are the stereotypical source material, often easy to find at relatively good prices. If I see a Chinese elm at the nursery I might grab one, but I can't seem to find any places that have small start deciduous-type trees in my area and I haven't yet ventured out to online ordering.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't yet ventured out to online ordering.

Yeah think that over!

The equation for me goes like this....

Call it half of the trees will be no good or die from out of area, and any that survive will have taken up a lot of precious time, time that could have been better spent hunting local, more sure things.

So in the end you're not left with more fun than headache.....

And when you total the shipping, you could have spent just that on a decent tree sometime down the road.

I'll have some further topic thoughts later.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah think that over!

The equation for me goes like this....

Call it half of the trees will be no good or die from out of area, and any that survive will have taken up a lot of precious time, time that could have been better spent hunting local, more sure things.

So in the end you're not left with more fun than headache.....

And when you total the shipping, you could have spent just that on a decent tree sometime down the road.

I'll have some further topic thoughts later.

Sorce
I'm headed back today to look for a couple fun trunks to have a few to play with or at least grow up a bit if that is more in line. Do you ever buy stock and let it grow/fatten up, either green or trunk area for a season or two?

Chris

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Very good right up. I'm wanting to get a hornbeam next year and have been looking. I came across these today. Where would you see these in the time line. Sorry I didn't get a look at the base. Maybe tomorrow. 20220513_074441.jpg20220513_074159.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you ever buy stock and let it grow/fatten up, either green or trunk area for a season or two?

I rather enjoy the nursery hunt, I like to find one of thousands that fits into a relatively quick timeframe, or has something Soooo interesting it can't be passed up.

I don't like "growing trunks", not because of the time or space, but because I figure nature will have been working on something way better than I may have and she'll soon point me to it.

That said, I do enjoy seedlings and small anythings from anywhere, but I mostly just learn them while waiting for that beast.

I really took to BVF's thread on stack ranking.

Been kinda taking that to the extreme.

I reckon a big key in this whole thing for me is....

Everything has potential and that potential is determined by the skillset of the Artist.

Some folks graft a mean ass root.
Some folks have good earth to grow trunks.
Some folks layer like wedding cakes.
Some folks don't give a shit!

Personal facts aren't really opinion, we just look at things wrong.

Sorce

Top Bottom