Chop advice...

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Let it grow out, only watering and fertilizing, you may end up liking the growth down there. Your bound to get branches and buds all over, but I would personally keep some of the foliage down there. Maybe in a while you will even change your mind on a front because of different growth. Nice tree!

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I pray it buds higher. Useless without it
It will, just water it nicely, and make sure it gets it share of sun. Personally, I would chop some of the foliage off down there, but keep some of it just so the tree can lift itself from the point of death. With less foliage at the bottom, you may see some buds at the top because all the energy from the tree would not be directed to the bottom When you water, apply some onto the top of the tree to keep it moist. Im not as knowledgable as the others in this forum, so don't take what I say with a grain of salt

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If this trunk were mine. I would immediately remove the root suckers. They are exerting "apical dominance" and preventing buds on the trunk from sprouting. At least that is what I would do. This trunk is showing a very weak response. If you allow those root suckers to continue, they will be the only growth you get. Remove them immediately, and you have maybe a 50% chance of something sprouting higher up on the trunk. But without the age of the trunk, the tree you could make from the roots suckers would be worthless. So get rid of the root suckers NOW, if there is any hope of saving the main trunk.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do one or the other, not both. It's been four weeks? Most likely the tree will stop throwing resources up the trunk and live off of the energy the suckers at the base are supplying.

Hopefully it will throw some growth out higher, but I doubt it.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If this trunk were mine. I would immediately remove the root suckers. They are exerting "apical dominance" and preventing buds on the trunk from sprouting. At least that is what I would do. This trunk is showing a very weak response. If you allow those root suckers to continue, they will be the only growth you get. Remove them immediately, and you have maybe a 50% chance of something sprouting higher up on the trunk. But without the age of the trunk, the tree you could make from the roots suckers would be worthless. So get rid of the root suckers NOW, if there is any hope of saving the main trunk.

It's been noted you type REAL fast. I agree with the above.....

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Any need to chop further down? Or scrub the trunk rid of it’s old bark?

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I agree with Leo… Pluck those suckers. I would probably leave it alone after that.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If you scratch it, is the cambium green at the top of the tree? If not then it died back and those root suckers is all thats left.

If so, then you should be safe to prune the suckers.

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Yea I peeled some of the darker crusty spots off the trunk and it’s bright green under there. Makes me feel better

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
No need, and probably not a good idea to scrub the trunk right now, you might accidentally damage new buds that might be forming, further setting back the tree. But green cambium is a good sign, now remove the suckers if you have not yet, and then leave it alone to see what it will do. I have had trunks sit until July after collection, before finally popping buds and growing. So give it time.

ponderingsage

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Looks good. My elms respond like this after a chop. I thin out so it's not so crowded, and to focus the energy a bit. I typically leave some extra, as I inevitably hit one when carving big cuts.

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Branch selection time. This is my first styling of a decent tree and dont want to jack it up. Please help. Leo has gotten me this far and I don’t wanna keep bothering him lol 804CCF83-9306-46A1-860F-6ABB2A2A18D1.jpeg2B925F03-AC55-463E-9742-5C357CF5140B.jpeg14570DC1-F93E-44D5-8021-A3A3F0E36F36.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Where there are lots of branches growing close together you should pick 2 or, at most, 3 to build the main branches. Look for strong ones growing in the right directions and cut off the others. As this appears to be broom style the best direction for main branches is up and out. 2 stronger branches on the thicker stump growing toward each other. One (or maybe both) should go in favor of one going in a better direction. If there are none going in the desired directions pick the best and wire them into better place.

There is not just one road to bonsai.
I think it time to cut all those new branches way back to get another level of ramification. Others would just select branches and allow those to keep growing to gain some more thickness before cutting back.

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
In order to get the main structure I feel like letting them grow to the desired thickness is what I’m going to do

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just don't forget it'll keep growing, so depending on how long you will continue to develop it, leave off that much thickness.

You can think about what branches you will keep in your final design that come off the new leader. Maybe the first one or two.
Then keep them and the lead itself, but cut off the other branches. This way you'll thicken the lead and not shade your next buds.

Sorce

Top Bottom