Chop-Chop "Make Room for Daddy"

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
"Make Room for Daddy" In 2006 I added a second lath house for my growing collection...Had to remove several 15 year old field grown Tridents...Gave most of them away, but I did save three trunks for this project…These are the last of the Tridents, three to be accurate...They are about twenty feet tall now...They provide all the seeds that I can use...The parents of all the seedlings I've grown...Nice smooth bark, small leaves and branch heavily with pinching.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 178

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Notice the fence post in the upper left of the picture...It's 6" in diameter..."Big thick trunks"...This double trunk base is 8 plus inches with two 4" spars...Try digging one of these out of the ground

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 190

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Two years have gone by and they are still pushing new buds...The two trunks on the left are hollow trunks...The one on the far left is six inches in diameter and ten inches tall...That's the one I will focus on in this series…Hollow trunk chop.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 247

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Constant carving on the hollow...First wiring of some the new branches...The green dot on the apex at the second bend is where I broke the branch...Repaired the break with tree seal.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 207

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Following spring…The break healed in the new apex and it looks like it is going to be fine...The tree is getting stronger...Still have to reduce the size of those leaves though.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 161

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
End of the season, looking good and ready for the next pruning...Yeah I did a lot more carving that year...You can see something new on the right side of the trunk...A window in the trunk…That portion of the bark died back during the previous season… I carved the area out between the live wood … It add more detail to the appearance and helps symbolize how tough nature can be.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 147

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Side shot showing the crack in the trunk...I'm going to widen it every year...Limbs were popping all over.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 133

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Down the throat of this monster...That was a lot of work...She's still kicking.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 127

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hard pruned it again, and a little more work on the interior and crack..."Open wide baby".

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 154

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Following spring and it's really starting to shape up nice…Getting excited!

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 172

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
First bonsai pot 4" x 14" mica drum...Notice the small stick in the soil to the right of the trunk...That's a root graft...You can't see all of them but I put down four grafts while I transplanted it into the pot spring of 2010... Gave it a hair cut too.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 152

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Spring 2011, I hope you enjoyed the shots...

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 151

Jake

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
really interesting progression shots! thanks for those

woodguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Coming along really nicely. Thanks for sharing the progress.

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Soil mix is crushed lava, small amount of organics and peat..

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice. What are you doing to widen the crack?

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
I'm using a dremel tool to widen the opening. You can use just about any type of die grinder. Originally I used a 2" drill bit to go down the center of the trunk then the dremel to carve the rest. I do this work during the growing season to keep a balance in the sap flow. Too much carving and the tree will slow growth in that particular area and I have to work another area to maintain that balance.

Top Bottom