Chop Mark Identification

mrcasey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sometime in the mid 80's, a member of our club bought two rectangular 12" pots in Japan. They're very clean and precise. Look to be mold made to my eye. One is made from a gray clay and unglazed. The other is made from a white/beige clay and has a satin blue glaze. Can anybody read the chop marks.?

Attachments

• chop1.2.jpg
    chop1.2.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 30
  • chop2.jpg
    chop2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 29

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
First one appears to be contemporary Chinese. Second one is indecipherable to me.
680C58B3-E894-40EA-905B-07E7750AE20E.jpeg

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There is a facebook group connected to solid databases that can potentially help.

here is the link to the facebook group:

Once you join, you can post picture of chops and multiple individuals from all over the world with expertise and experience chime in to help. Posting also helps them expand the databases (I assume).

Here is a link to one of the Japanese databases (both antique and contemporary kilns and artist chops)

Here is a link to the Chinese makers:

mrcasey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a facebook group connected to solid databases that can potentially help.

here is the link to the facebook group:

Once you join, you can post picture of chops and multiple individuals from all over the world with expertise and experience chime in to help. Posting also helps them expand the databases (I assume).

Here is a link to one of the Japanese databases (both antique and contemporary kilns and artist chops)

Here is a link to the Chinese makers:

I tried joining the face book group, but after several days, haven't been accepted. I also tried shooting Ryan Bell a face book message and he hasn't responded.

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I tried joining the face book group, but after several days, haven't been accepted. I also tried shooting Ryan Bell a face book message and he hasn't responded.
I think my approval took 10-14 days. I totally forgot about it and then it appeared one day.

From what I can gather, Ryan juggles a ton of stuff online, and I am sure he has both a professional and personal life, so give it a little more time!

Top Bottom