Chop thriving....now where ?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Elm chop is bursting to life in the last couple of weeks. Let it grow unaided i think ?

Thanks

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have used 1/3 of a 55 US gallon black plastic barrel with excellent
results in 3 to 6 months.
Good Day
Anthony

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let it grow 2-4 years to heal up that big chop wound. Place in as big of container as possible.
Why as big a container as possible?
I'd just use a pot where the roots can grow out a little, then pot up. That way I would not waste water with a large volume container, otherwise you usually just grow weeds.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Why as big a container as possible?
I'd just use a pot where the roots can grow out a little, then pot up. That way I would not waste water with a large volume container, otherwise you usually just grow weeds.
Because he cant plant in ground, which is what would be recommended. And weeds are just a part of bonsai.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dying for an excuse to share my elm again , three weeks out from its chop. I won't touch till next year, I think, work on ideas for it till then.

BrentCB5FE7CD-E273-4932-A0AA-D3DE468A6BC4.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Allow free growth but pay attention to clusters of shoots growing from a single point. They can quickly produce swelling and reverse taper. Thin out excess shoots as soon as you can decide which will be the leader and which might make good branch. Generally only 2 growing points from any place on a bonsai. A couple of extras can be left short term if you aren't sure but elms can produce lots from a single spot and need to be dealt with.
Small sized bonsai need to be managed more than larger sizes so you may find that vigorous shoots will need to be wired and/or trimmed before the end of the season. Usually the new apex will need more growth than branches as it needs to thicken more to match the old trunk and to help close the cut.
Be very wary of trying to wire very new shoots like the ones shown. New shoots are not strongly attached and will come off easily. Best to let these grow for a while until they change colour before attempting any changes in shape or angle.

Larger containers can boost growth rates. Sometimes bigger is not really better. Huge growth can quickly ruin the delicate balance needed for smaller bonsai. Growth needs to be managed to produce the desired results. Sometimes small plants do not respond well to really large containers. If roots are not able to colonise the whole space soil can sour? and growth is then reduced. Again, some balance and experience is needed.
Weeds can, and should, be managed. I don't think larger containers require much more water than smaller ones. Most water is lost through overspray missing the smaller container, water draining through the container and transpiration through the plants. Relatively little actually evaporates from the surface of a pot after the surface layer dries out and insulates the soil below.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would aim a little higher than that example. The upper trunk looks very tall and straight which is common when new apex is grown quickly. I have some like that myself and regret not taking more time to cut a few more times to get better trunk movement and better taper in the upper part.

Top Bottom