Chopped Cypress in the sun…

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Curious… What do you all do once you trunk chop your Cypress… Do you put in the sun or let rest in the shade for a while? Thanks

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Curious… What do you all do once you trunk chop your Cypress… Do you put in the sun or let rest in the shade for a while? Thanks

Please tell us exactly what tree. A Leyland cypress and a Bald cypress for example are very different plants

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
When I chopped mine I just left them in part sun. I don’t have many places in the yard with full sun anyway. Where I put them they get morning sun then are shaded in the heat of the day. I’ve never kept any in full shade. The ones I have kept in full sun got burned by mid June (foliage turned orange) amd after that I moved them back into part sun.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
When I chopped mine
Yeah here in Arizona I have to keep sheltered from direct sun and the hot wind by the end of June... other wise they get crispy.
Dappled sun till Sept.
I typically keep my elms in the shade or at least dappled sun when I repot or chop...
I was just curious if the same applies to cypress. I have heard both...sun right away is okay and keep in shade for a few weeks.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
So they are a bit different. The Montezuma is native to your area and as long as the chop has been protected it can do full sun for sure. If you also have a BC it may depend on where it came from and how long you have acclimated it to the drier climate and when the chop was made etc. How bout some pics. The BC can do full sun of you keep it very moist root wise and increase the humidity around the tree.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The Montezuma
Thanks so much for your reply!
This was one of those hindsight posts.
Really I was curious if I had to keep my chopped Monyezuma in the shade after it was chopped a few months ago. I did keep in the shade just in case and have had no adverse affects that I can tell...
2 months later and it has now been moved and is happy in the sun.

Next year I will chop my BC.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hey Aaron where did you get you BC from?
Hey Randy!
Got the BC from EBay... will have to look up sellers name.
If your thinking about a cypress try a Montezuma... I’m really having fun with them... there’s a nursery here in Tucson that has um ... Mesquite Valley Growers

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@AZbonsai
Hey Randy!
Wondering if you made it Mesquite Valley yet.... they are running low on stock for MC....like 6 left. The said they are probably not going to get more?. They had about 20 last fall but when I went back in the spring I could tell most of them were dead. They tend not to be a great sellers here in Tucson.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crossing my fingers wont be until 10th of june. If not will give me another reason to go down again.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It's warm and humid where I am. When I chop BC ir MC, they will be in full sun.

Top Bottom