Chopped pine

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
This pine was chopped almost to the ground level and leaved without any foliage... It didnt died and sprouted profusely... How thats possible? I know the answer its a challenge for you guys hehešŸ˜
TlNLTKu.jpg

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A couple american pines do this as well. A lot of times they will die within a few months or year or so. But I don't know anything about spanish pines, maybe this one will survive

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Some species seem to be able to sprout buds from bare wood better than others. It also seems to depend a lot on the age of the wood - younger bare wood sprouts far better than very old trunks.
Looking more closely at your photo it looks like there was already lots of small, younger shoots on this part of the trunk. Look at the dead needles clustered all over. I think that is all very recent growth. Maybe this one has been pruned regularly before to maintain plenty of low growth or to maintain juvenile foliage on the trunk?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Its was a pine about 10-15 meter tall, when the trunk when was chopped didnt have any foliage or sprouts in the base

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Do you know if it's a halepensis pine or perhaps a stone pine?
I'd like to know this because I want to advise my friend who owns two giant stone pines, and also because I have a bunch of halepensis seedlings.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
They are interesting hypotheses :oops:, in fact it is a Canary Islands Pine Pinus canariensis, this species has a natural resistance to fire regrowing in old wood even when it burns completely, the thick bark protects the trunk from the fire. It also regrow after strong pruning, even pines with trunks of more than 1 meter in diameter sprout profusely from old wood. This is an adaptation to the harsh conditions in the isles making it one of the most fire-resistant conifers in the world

Pausas-Keeley-2017-TrendsPlSci_cover.jpg

pino-canario-resiste-el-fuego-696x598.jpg

Cvts--pWAAA_wvX.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Must be one reason these have such thick bark. Insulation;).

Top Bottom