Chopping the Big Red Bougainvillea

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
I found this big red bougainvillea in someone's yard and dug it up. It's now growing vigorously in a pot and even flowering. My question has to do with chopping the tree since I think it's way too tall for bonsai currently. Whatever branches I cut off I can root and get more trees. For reference I'm in a warm part of the SF Bay Area and we don't get a real winter.

Just for fun, I'll start this post with some pictures of the plant before I dug it up, during the dig, and just after the dig.

I'll then post a video I took this morning and show the bougainvillea branches. I'm hoping to get advice on where to make cuts on this beast so that it's shorter and leaves room for it to be a true bonsai.

The Bougie as I found it.
IMG-1070.jpg

Beautiful deep RED flowers!
IMG-1077.jpg

Along with those beautiful flowers are thorns straight from hell. I've decided it's impossible to avoid getting cuts while digging out Bougainvillea, but they can be minimized with good long gloves and a thick sweatshirt. Weather didn't allow for the sweatshirt this time.
IMG-1079.jpg

When digging up Bougainvilleas you can't really judge what the trunk will look like until you're halfway done removing it. In this case the owner told me there are (2) trunks that were each 3" diameter. I almost skipped digging it out because I was looking for a bigger specimen, but decided to do it since I don't have any red bougainvilleas and this one's flowers were quite striking. Here's how the plant looked from the surface:

IMG-1060.jpg

After a couple hours of digging through hardened clay, FAR deeper than I was prepared to dig, I finally got under the plant. I was very happy to see such a big trunk and nice bark under the soil!
IMG-1090.jpg

Success! The Bougainvillea is out of the ground! Notice there's not a big root ball. This isn't an issue for Bougainvillea.. Their roots come back very quickly.
IMG-1096.jpg

I cut the branches a bit shorter for the car ride home. Once I got it home I put it in a pot that I had sitting around, along with 50/50 mix of sifted pumice and lava rock.
IMG-1104.jpg

Next is a little trick that I learned from folks here on BonsaiNut. You water the plant and then wrap it in plastic to keep the humidity very high. This works REALLY well.
IMG-1127.jpg

Within about 10 days I already had lots of new sprouts popping up. Notice in the background I made a larger humidity chamber (PVC and clear food wrap) for a bigger bougainvillea.
IMG-1197.jpg

Once the new sprouts are about 8" long I slowly remove the bag (over the period of a few days to slowly let the plant get used to less humidity, then slowly introduce the plant to full sunlight.

So here's where the plant stands now. I'd like to chop a few branches back or completely off, I think. I just need it to be shorter. Where should I chop? I'd hate to chop too little and have to chop again in the future, but I'd also hate to chop too much and leave a giant scar.

Where would you chop, and what would you make the "front" of the tree?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You know what you have, and now you need to say where you want it to be. Take a picture of it and manipulate it on any photo software to establish an outer canopy limit. Then add minor branches, intermediate branches, major branches, all to support the outer limits of the canopy. That should tell you where the big stuff ends.
bsf 5.JPG

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
You know what you have, and now you need to say where you want it to be. Take a picture of it and manipulate it on any photo software to establish an outer canopy limit. Then add minor branches, intermediate branches, major branches, all to support the outer limits of the canopy. That should tell you where the big stuff ends.
View attachment 328596

Thanks for your time and effort to create this. This is great, and is roughly what I was thinking for final design. In that case I'll need to shorten the main branches quite a bit so that the canopy isn't so 'tall'.

Last edited:

YamadoriFL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Awesome collected Bougie! Thanks for sharing.

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
It has been a week. Do you have footlong growth ont here?

I figured someone would push back on my "I get an inch per day growth!" statement about my bougainvilleas. haha
This one grows a little bit slower than my other (much bigger) bougainvillea, but I do have noticably longer branches from when I took the video. The statement about growth was on my other thread though, not this one. It was in reference to my other bigger bougainvillea which has grown 12"+ since my last posting.

Red flowering variety bougainvilleas seem to grow differently than other colors from what I can tell. All of my other bougainvilleas grow thick branches right away, but my reds grow thin stiff branches to begin with. They thicken up when they get long but
they have to get quite long. Also all of the leaves on this one turn dark red/maroon when they get a lot of sunlight. Other varieties that I have go from dark green to very light green based on amount of sunlight they get.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I figured someone would push back on my "I get an inch per day growth!" statement about my bougainvilleas. haha
Honestly! Did not read that. It was more my personal expectation as these being weeds in the right climate!

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
Honestly! Did not read that. It was more my personal expectation as these being weeds in the right climate!
Oh, my fault! I do tell people I get 1-2" daily growth on my bougies since that's true on my big ones.
There's a guy in Florida who posts pictures of his monster Bougainvillea and says he gets 12" growth...per day! That's hard to believe but I know bougainvillea love south Florida heat, sunlight and humidity.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh, my fault! I do tell people I get 1-2" daily growth on my bougies since that's true on my big ones.
There's a guy in Florida who posts pictures of his monster Bougainvillea and says he gets 12" growth...per day! That's hard to believe but I know bougainvillea love south Florida heat, sunlight and humidity.
12 foot of growth in a day?
I find that a little impossible to believe!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ahw. ok that makes more sense. Never able to remember what all these commas means. ONe feels more logical for smaller measures than two :)

But yeah. A foot of growth a day is.. a lot. That is bamboo-level growth

Althought..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo Bamboos include some of the fastest-growing plants in the world,[5] due to a unique rhizome-dependent system. Certain species of bamboo can grow 910 mm (36 in) within a 24-hour period, at a rate of almost 40 mm (1 1⁄2 in) an hour (a growth around 1 mm every 90 seconds, or 1 inch every 40 minutes)

Top Bottom