Choppychoppy's JBP entry

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
So I got my seeds from Treeseeds and like most I got a ton more than I ordered. I ordered 500 and got prob twice that or more. Anyway I'm in FL and depending on who you ask these will either do fine here or totally die and I shouldn't waste my time haha.

So I didn't soak, stratify, scarify, put in the fridge, wet with paper towels, etc. I just took about a third of the bag and scattered em in a grow box of old bonsai soil and covered em with a thin layer of soil. I stuck em under an automatic sprayer and said good luck.

20180126_142016.jpg

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
So a couple weeks later woah - I guess they pretty much all are coming up. Well so much for all that prework stuff ;)

Anyway I've got loads of seeds left I guess I'll see if my club all wants to become JBP growers.

Seeds I've got left and the sprouts.

20180220_114058.jpg20180221_081322.jpg

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
So a couple weeks later woah - I guess they pretty much all are coming up. Well so much for all that prework stuff ;)

Anyway I've got loads of seeds left I guess I'll see if my club all wants to become JBP growers.

Seeds I've got left and the sprouts.

View attachment 178803View attachment 178804

Choppy... How those JBP seedlings doing? I'm also in Florida (the Keys). I have about 30 or so that have sprouted. I stratified mine for about 20 days or so. Just wondering if they are surviving.

Also, what kind of soil is that? Is it all inorganic? I think I see turface, granite and lava?

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Choppy... How those JBP seedlings doing? I'm also in Florida (the Keys). I have about 30 or so that have sprouted. I stratified mine for about 20 days or so. Just wondering if they are surviving.

Also, what kind of soil is that? Is it all inorganic? I think I see turface, granite and lava?

So many sprouted its ridiculous. They are everywhere and in every kinda soil mix imaginable.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
So many sprouted its ridiculous. They are everywhere and in every kinda soil mix imaginable.

Sweet.. Glad to hear that.. Its crazy that you just threw all those seeds in a pot with no prep and so many germinated. Im going to do that too. LOL! Well, with at least half. :)

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I ended up with like 20 trays like this.
View attachment 193886
Well, well, you've got the magic touch! Indeed you have!
I failed with my first planting and now I am starting my second with better soil. But I tend to believe that seeds is not my powerful ability :p

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
So I gave 2 trays of seedlings away and I only planted about half the bag (just eyeballed it) and then gave the rest of the seeds to club folks. I also ran out of small pots and trays and stuff so I have two trays of twins and two trays or triples so we will see how those grow together. I also threw a bunch of kinda runty ones out when I was doing the transplanting. I checked today and currently have 332 seedling going haha. I have them in all sorts of soils from old nursery mix, perlite and potting soils, old bonsai soils etc. I will prob start giving them away to folks and hopefully give lots away during our club exhibit next year. I'll prob keep the 20 or 30 most aggressive growers for the contest and see how they go. Maybe I'll get a tray in the ground somewhere next spring.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I did what choppy said and in 10 days - here they come... I have potting soil on the bottom and a thick layer of bonsai soil., not a topping..I didnt stratify or soak in water. I did nothing. I just planted them right from the package. Thanks Choppy!

jbp2.jpg

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
I did what choppy said and in 10 days - here they come... I have potting soil on the bottom and a thick layer of bonsai soil., not a topping..I didnt stratify or soak in water. I did nothing. I just planted them right from the package. Thanks Choppy!

View attachment 198166

I really stress keeping them covered as they come up as birds like to nibble to tops with the seed on it and it will kill the seedlings. Nice job!

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I really stress keeping them covered as they come up as birds like to nibble to tops with the seed on it and it will kill the seedlings. Nice job!

We have lots of birds here but none want my JBP seeds. Our birds eat seafood.. lol.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
So I got the 'cuttings' from Mark and have those potted up separately. They were in rough shape when they arrived - thanks USPS haha - but they will prob be good in a couple days. The rest are going wild and I've got a lot with short stems just naturally. Also I've got a few with longer stems I was gonna wrap with a thin piece of wire and twist and let grow over. Maybe @Adair M will let me know when guys like Boon would recommend something like this; now, soon, a year, more etc. Thanks. Seems like FL is definitely a JBP happy place - my others are going wild as well.

20180707_075430.jpg20180707_075405.jpg20180707_075354.jpg20180707_080000.jpg15309652654418573368117543733104.jpg

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I did 10 root cuttings and I lost 4 of them so far. Its just a little test to see I can get them to survive or at least the best way to get them to survive. I have one covered just to see if it does any better. I need to make sure whats best before I do all the rest. My newest batch haven't got red stemmed yet so waiting on that.. Honestly Im not sure I want to root prune. I think ill lose a lot of them but I wouldnt mind about 10 root pruned ones or so. You didnt cut any of yours, right? @choppychoppy

RichS

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So my question is if they are growin without having to stratify out in fridge soak etc....then why do people do that? Seems like a waste of time. Unless theres a reason?

Top Bottom