Choppychoppy's JBP entry

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
So my question is if they are growin without having to stratify out in fridge soak etc....then why do people do that? Seems like a waste of time. Unless theres a reason?
Better germination rate, usually. I will say that I stratified my seeds for close to two months this winter and actually didn’t get great germination rates as compared to previous years... could be the seeds, though.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
So my question is if they are growin without having to stratify out in fridge soak etc....then why do people do that? Seems like a waste of time. Unless theres a reason?

I just did a soak for like 12 hours and Im getting like 90-95% germination rate with JBP but as far as ive read the reason is "better germination rate" Im not sure why though. They do pretty good without the fridge time.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
I did 10 root cuttings and I lost 4 of them so far. Its just a little test to see I can get them to survive or at least the best way to get them to survive. I have one covered just to see if it does any better. I need to make sure whats best before I do all the rest. My newest batch haven't got red stemmed yet so waiting on that.. Honestly Im not sure I want to root prune. I think ill lose a lot of them but I wouldnt mind about 10 root pruned ones or so. You didnt cut any of yours, right? @choppychoppy

I didn't cut any to the stem and rerroot. I do have a batch from Mark Comstock that were cut and then recut I believe. I will run those next to 'mine' and watch for differences.

I had like 99% germination so for me it isn't necessary. I have discovered much bonsai lore that needs to be tweaked for Florida.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So, these are growing since last February. Correct?
Have you noticed any buds forming already?
Do you perhaps consider pruning them (just above the first true needles) so that you induce some branching low on the trunk?

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
So, these are growing since last February. Correct?
Have you noticed any buds forming already?
Do you perhaps consider pruning them (just above the first true needles) so that you induce some branching low on the trunk?

Since this Feb. - 6 months - and no I'm not interested in that technique.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
some of mine that I planted 3 months ago weren't growing at all and some that I planted 3 weeks to a month ago already are bigger.. I have no idea why.. They are on the same table, same sun, same watering, same everything.. Ill take some pics.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
some of mine that I planted 3 months ago weren't growing at all and some that I planted 3 weeks to a month ago already are bigger.. I have no idea why.. They are on the same table, same sun, same watering, same everything.. Ill take some pics.
That doesn’t surprise me and I’m kicking myself for not planting my seeds in “batches”. It’s the “plant tomatoes after Mother’s Day” advice. Everyone wants to get out there and plant right away, but seeds grown after Moms day almost always do better. The seeds are more efficient from the start, which creates accelerated growth.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Well, it’s always hot here (maybe a bit hotter now) so I’m not sure if that’s exactly it but I’m sure it has something to do with it. I mean what else could it be? The slower growing batch is in choppy soil. Bottom part of pot is potting mix and top part is bonsai soil and the newer batch is straight bonsai soil. I don’t seem to get any deaths from damp off in the straight bonsai mix but I pretty much have to water every few days. They both get about 5 hours of morning sun a day. Both batches are under my overhanging deck. I did experiment with a few and left them all alone in full sun. I don’t water them, just straight up neglect. They only get rain water. They are doing pretty damn good. I think sometimes I do too much. I should let Mother Nature do her thing and leave them all out in the elements. The strong will survive, I guess..

First image is about 3 months ago and second image is 3-4 weeks ago.. and the first batch now is just growing and getting some new growth. I’d say within this last week..

Attachments

• 8E419EBB-2232-4D93-B7C1-46A2DA6C93BE.jpeg
    8E419EBB-2232-4D93-B7C1-46A2DA6C93BE.jpeg
    470.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 4AC06F93-A184-4715-9720-474E6465B326.jpeg
    4AC06F93-A184-4715-9720-474E6465B326.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 46
Top Bottom