Chopstick vs Root hook for repotting

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’ve had a number of plants for a couple of years and have mostly focused on what is above ground. I’m now turning my focus to what is below ground and had a question about cleaning up the roots when reporting.

I’ve seen a lot of videos of people aggressively hacking away at root balls with root hooks. That seems rather destructive. The one place I’ve seen people do this is on Mirai where they gently use chopsticks to painstakingly remove the dirt bit by bit.

Do you all find that root hooks are effective or do they damage your plants? Or are chopsticks the way to go?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Someone was just talking about how even chopsticks are damaging. I believe where we were talking about underwater repotting, which I finally found someone else to believe in with me.

I'm an ungloved hander. I believe a tree can't hurt itself, (cuz it's true), so I pry through with pruned material of itself, just about the same size, since it will bend before it hurts itself, unlike the stiff leverage you get with any tool.

Sorce

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I’ve had a number of plants for a couple of years and have mostly focused on what is above ground. I’m now turning my focus to what is below ground and had a question about cleaning up the roots when reporting.

I’ve seen a lot of videos of people aggressively hacking away at root balls with root hooks. That seems rather destructive. The one place I’ve seen people do this is on Mirai where they gently use chopsticks to painstakingly remove the dirt bit by bit.

Do you all find that root hooks are effective or do they damage your plants? Or are chopsticks the way to go?
I use both, and I don’t ‘hack’ with either. Both tools have their place. Just be careful and systematic.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I think it might depend on what you’re trying to do. An otherwise vigorous tree being repotted to a smaller vessel where you will be pruning peripheral roots anyway then a root hook is just plain faster and more efficient. A delicate tree or one with questionable vigor a more delicate less invasive/destructive approach with a chopstick will serve you better

While I like @sorce ’s theory on the tree not hurting itself for its poetic and romantic basis I question its validity as I’m pretty sure that if I remove a limb from any of my trees and go at the root ball with my general ham handed approach I can be pretty friggin destructive. I like the idea though. 😉

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Someone was just talking about how even chopsticks are damaging. I believe where we were talking about underwater repotting, which I finally found someone else to believe in with me.

I'm an ungloved hander. I believe a tree can't hurt itself, (cuz it's true), so I pry through with pruned material of itself, just about the same size, since it will bend before it hurts itself, unlike the stiff leverage you get with any tool.

Sorce

Will you sacrifice a finger so the doctor can use it to remove your appendix? 😜

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will you sacrifice a finger so the doctor can use it to remove your appendix? 😜

I'd watch a YouTube video and take it out myself.

Though I keep pouring on those pounds of prevention!

Which is mostly just not believing "their" BS.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I recently saw a home made whisk broom used to clean out a nebari and tease out roots. Choice of twigs to make the whisk broom can range from pretty soft to pretty stiff. Like others I have used a root hook, and chop sticks, but one needs to think ahead about what the goal is. How much of the fine root system do you risk tearing? Go gentle if you need to preserve the fine roots.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depends on what stage of work. I use the following for root work, depending : root hook, chopsticks, small rake, hand saw, reciprocating saw, chainsaw.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are different tools and if you use only one you are omitting a valuable tool.
I also don't use a screwdriver for a chisel or visa versa.

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
They are different tools and if you use only one you are omitting a valuable tool.
I also don't use a screwdriver for a chisel or visa versa.
So then what do you use each for?

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don’t use a root hook anymore but it’s personal preference. I like using a chopstick and a soaking tub (if it’s material from a nursery can.) If I was going to buy a root hook and use one again I would actually buy one of those single prong hooks that horse people use to clean hooves. It’s basically a halfway between a chop stick and root hook. I personally feel like it’s not as damaging but gets work done faster. That was my preference when I had to bang out repots at the nursery. But at home my collection is small and I have all day to finger blast my trees

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I recently used water and sprayed the roots with a little pressure and it worked really well for just a mild repotting of a lemon tree houseplant I have

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So then what do you use each for?
Well, I use the screwdriver for screws................. :rolleyes: :)
If I was going to buy a root hook and use one again I would actually buy one of those single prong hooks that horse people use to clean hooves.
These are great........

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you have nice soft fresh soil sometimes a chopstick stuck down in and wiggled around will loosen soil up enough to let the hands dobthe rest of the work. Other times you need a damn saw. We're manipulating nature, and oftentimes nature has its way whether we like it or not 👍

Top Bottom