Christmas gift

Julian

Seed
Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi Guys,

Got this lil guy for a Christmas gift. This is my second go at a bonsai tree - the first one didn't fair too well after I repotted it.

This one seems to be thriving and definitely has grown since Christmas, we make sure to water it when in need and it sits inside but in a sunroom.

Firstly, I'm unaware of the species any ideas what it might be so I can research more?

You'll notice from the pictures that it's got some friends that have sprouted - I actually don't mind them at all but my guess is that it'll start to compete with the bonsai so I'm wanting some tips on how to get rid of it, it's form is very bonsaish and I don't consider it to be a weed, is there any chance this has sprung from a root or seed perhaps? If so, what's the best approach to gently repotting it?

There are still wires on the main part of the tree, not sure of timing for this but should I consider removing them?

Thanks in advance.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You've got two different species in that pot. The one with bigger leaves is some acacia or robinia. The second, with small leaves is Corokia cotoneaster, I think Australian native species.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
You probably could remove the wires--if anything it should be good for the tree. Right now its autumn in Australia which isn't the most ideal time for repotting. If you'd like to keep the new sprout and separate it from the main tree you probably should wait for spring. That aside just focus on keeping the tree healthy. Give the tree as much sun as you can and care not to overwater. Generally speaking trees will fare much better outside than indoors--if yard space or a patio is an option I would consider moving it there. The soil the tree is potted in appears to be a rich organic medium--many here will tell you that it's bad soil and you should switch it to a coarser inorganic mix. If you just plan on keeping it indoors and enjoy how the tree looks as it is regular potting soil is probably fine as long as you take care not to overwater. While you state that the tree is thriving, but it appears a bit sparse to me. I'm not familiar with the species so perhaps that's just how it looks. In any case I would pay attention for any signs of decline as to remedy any issues before it is too late. Another note on keeping the tree indoors is the humidity levels. Especially if you run either heater or air conditioner the humidity indoors can be very low--good for comfort but not so good for trees. Make sure the tree stays in a well ventilated area and at the same time somewhere not too dry. Good luck with your tree!

RNbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just love it an keep it alive and it will do the same. One of the most exciting parts of bonsai, at least for me as a newby, is seeing them grow and stay alive haha.

Julian

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and apologies I'm only getting back to this now.

The Robinia is now as big(nearly) as the Corokia and looking healthier too. Someone said the Corokia was looking a bit sparse and I'm noticing more that it's having a hard time.

Not sure if this is relevant but if I slightly touch Corokia it has a lot of play at the root and moves far too much (in my opinion). I gently removed the wire from it.

The more the Robinia grows and looks great the more the Corokia looks to be suffering.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, invasive species, will take what's offered. But I would leave repotting for spring. They're gonna be dormant in short time if I'm not mistaken.

Julian

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks petegreg, will hold off repotting till spring.

Top Bottom