christmas gifts!!

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I know it's not even thanksgiving yet haha but we all know christmas is RIGHT around the corner.. What should I ask for!? ;) I'm thinking of asking for a years subscription to a bonsai magazine. I'm sure you guys can give me some great suggestions as to some reputable bonsai magazines out there!! Or maybe some great super detailed books for beginers. Somethin with more than just the 'basics'...And what are you guys asking for!?! :)

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
International bonsai puts out a magazine, I believe four issues a year. I liked it but don't have other mags to compare it to. As for a book I recommend Deborah koreshoffs book, the art philopshopy history science of bonsai or something like that is the title. Lots of great info.

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
For a beginner I'd suggest (other than a tree of course):
- a good class/training session
- club membership
- good tools
- gift certificate with a good pot maker (i.e. Sarah Raynor)
- a nice wire sculpture bonsai for your work area

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks!! Bonsai focus is what I had in mind. I'll probably ask for some branch cutters too. A class would be to expensive.. Unfortunaly. I can't even afford classes for myself. Haha. I have enough material already for a beginner. (Only about 14 months in with about 20 pre bonsai) :) I think I'll ask for the bonsai focus subscription, a good book and a tool! :) what about you guys? What's on the bonsai wish list this year?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
what about you guys? What's on the bonsai wish list this year?
I buy what I want or need (that I can afford) year round...so nothing really. I am content. :)

My wife being cancer free....
I hope you get your wish. I know how it is...my wife went through bilateral (double) mastectomy with reconstruction 2 months ago. Today, she went through another operation for the "adjustment" segment of the reconstruction. Actually, we just got home an hour ago.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My wife being cancer free....

If it were in my power nobody would be sick. However I can and will pray for your wife. Al, take care of yourself too, I am sure you are her rock.

ed

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I buy what I want or need (that I can afford) year round...so nothing really. I am content. :)

I hope you get your wish. I know how it is...my wife went through bilateral (double) mastectomy with reconstruction 2 months ago. Today, she went through another operation for the "adjustment" segment of the reconstruction. Actually, we just got home an hour ago.

You know the drill then.... I have seen way too much of the inside of a hospital this year...more than anyone should in their lifetime. Thanks Dario.

bumblebee

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I see the inside of the hospital every day, but thankfully not on the receiving end of care there.
I am so sorry you guys are going through this, Dario and Al. I do know how hard it must be for you and your wives.
If only we really could see into the future, huh? You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

Libby

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
eh...just another reminder of what a horrible year 2013 has been.....
Just found out a friend of mine in another online community just got put in the hospital because he was diagnosed with lung cancer. Havent heard what his prognosis is yet, if hes even still around.....

Hope your wives both beat the damn thing and recover.

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al and Dario, I will pray for both of you and your wives. My wife has also had cancer. She is cancer free currently!
Take care,
Tona

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Al...you and your wife have been in my prayers...(Sorry Al...I have been praying for you two...and her name slipped right off my fingertips without a thought.)

Dario...I hadn't known that about your wife...I will add her and you as well to my prayer list. Might I have her name as well?

Last edited:

macdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Prayers for both your wives from my family as well.

As for what I am asking for:

• A soil sieve set
  • Seedling heat mat and thermostat
  • Tool roll for my tools (I am currently using one of my daughters extra purses)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
[*]Tool roll for my tools (I am currently using one of my daughters extra purses)

Unless you travel with your tools a lot, for me, a tool bag with lots of side pockets work much better. Check Walmart tool section, they have a nice small one with around 16+ pockets IIRC and the price is right too.

macdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Unless you travel with your tools a lot, for me, a tool bag with lots of side pockets work much better. Check Walmart tool section, they have a nice small one with around 16+ pockets IIRC and the price is right too.

Thanks Dario! You just reminded me of that. I recall looking at a nice one for less than $10 if I recall! Pretty sad, I'm not that old and I forget things so easily.

Top Bottom