Christmas Traditions

LEAVESOFGRASS

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Let's hear em!

Mine: Evey year we eat turkey and all hang out with family, open presents, look at Christmas lights, and listen to Christmas music.

Yours?

Merry Merry!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Christmas Eve presents of pajamas...it's a tradition in our home. Wrapped even though we know what they are inside...just for the reveal factor.

Then, we remain in our pajamas ALL DAY LONG on Christmas Day. Our door is open to all who wish to stop in...most know our tradition and will arrive in their own pajamas just to participate in our fun traditions.

LEAVESOFGRASS

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Another one we always do, is that we have gallon of Carlo Rossi during Christmas. We don't tell our guests and we watch their faces as they drink the cheapest wine on the planet. I love the holidays. It's always a gas with my fam!

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Since moving to Spain around today we always like to lament the fact that customs, the postal service and numerous delivery companies have once again ruined Christmas.

Still can't be all that bad, we have each other. Right?

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
We used to all gather as a big family and eat. Then play poker. Since my dad passed away we don't do that anymore. It is still a fond memory.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Christmas Eve day and Evening -
Take Grandmother to pickup the meat order for Dinner at her place tomorrow.
Eat rich snack type foods all day afterwards.
I make a nice dinner for me and the Wife. This year is Duck with a homemade fruit and nut stuffing.
Usually have mild mellow music playing all day(big switch from metal)
Discuss when we will open all of the stuff we pack stockings with.
Drink while doing all the above.
Christmas Morning -
Exchange Christmas cards over coffee.
at 10ish have a Slavic breakfast, Fresh Holiday Sausage, Hard boiled eggs, Home made Russian Black Bread, and a local Horseradish.
Burp - Exchange gifts with the Yule Log on the bigger LCD.
Go to Grandmothers 3ish to help her finish dinner prep.
Eat
Burp and start a nice fire in the larger fireplace.
Drink, exchange gifts and stories.
Go home and feed the Dog yet more Holiday trimmings.

We make it a together time for the most part and spend a few hours with Grandmother as we are the only family close to her house.

Grimmy

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Until my grandfather died, we used to always spend Christmas Eve going to at least two places, sometimes three, so we were exhausted on Christmas morning. When my grandfather passed away, one side of my mom's family lamented not having a place to all meet every Christmas, so I decided to throw a big Christmas Eve party. We usually have trays from at least two restaurants, a freshly roasted turkey, and between 40 and 60 guests. It's a lot of work to prepare for and clean up after, but we stay home every year now, and everyone comes to us, which is nice. And I can drink, because I don't have to drive home.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
We just watched Santa fly overhead, the kids got all excited.

or it was a very nice coincidence that the International Space Station just gave a very bright flyover.
Depends on your perspective I guess.

This is something we try to do every year if there is a scheduled pass.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awaken at 4.30 a.m
AND wait for the Children to get up --------- awhh geez.

Open tons of gifts, lots of noise, lots of paper.
Music is on.
Tree and creche' stay on all night and day.

Breakfast - Pastelles, Portuguese pork, ham and bread, served with condiments.
Sorrelle drink

Church

Play with toys until lunch

Lunch - ham, a very large baked chicken, stuffing, Cydrax, Peardrax, local veggies.
more pastelles.

Play with toys.

Watch movies, and lots of talking, laughter and whatever else.

next day visit with friends/relatives.

New years repeat, sans toys.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!
AND A HAPPY HOLY NEW YEAR !!!!!

Love - Antonio - Ciao Tutti

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Today we are getting dressed up and going to a Christmas Eve lunch here: http://www.surfandsandresort.com/splashes/ Then we go for a walk on the beach. We've been doing this every year for a while...

This evening we are going to a friend's house for dinner with several other families. At night we come home, put a fire in the fireplace, turn on the Christmas lights and music, and then we hang stockings by the fire. Everyone takes turns putting a few things in the stockings while the rest of us are out of the room. Then we all come back, read "The Night Before Christmas" as a group, and open the stockings. We drink egg nog and eat cookies. We used to close the night by leaving a plate of cookies and milk for Santa by the fireplace.

In the morning we used to get up an see what Santa left for the kids. However now we sleep in a little more and then get up and have a traditional breakfast of sausage casserole, cantaloupe, fresh OJ, and coffee. Then we go open gifts by the tree. In the afternoon we watch football while we cook the Christmas feast. We try to have guests/family for Christmas dinner, but this year it will just be our family. We'll be having roast prime rib, Yorkshire pudding, asparagus with Hollandaise sauce, apple walnut butter lettuce salad, and jello :) I think we will have apple pie for desert though we also have a ton of cookies from a party last weekend...

Traditions have changed over the years, and I used to do things a little differently as a child... but the one thing that has remained consistent is trying to get together with as many friends and family members as possible.

Merry Christmas all!

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Going to friends' for Christmas Eve drinks and snacks. Christmas morning with my wife, then visiting my dad (in hospital this year) and Christmas dinner with the friends from Christmas eve (they're disfellowshipped JWs so don't have anyone to see, not that they'd be doing Christmas)

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
We used to do the traditional NY Italian American Christmas Eve. Tons of food. Lots of fish dishes, lots of wine and pastries. We have modified that a bit. Now we just have homemade pizza, stromboli, and a few other favorites. More wine though. Up bright and early on Christmas Day. Wonderful breakfast as after we open our gifts. We gather over one of our Aunt's for the traditional Christmas meals. First all the pasta, stuffed shells or lasagna, eggplant, meatballs ans sausage. But that is the warm up for turkey and all the trimmings. Cannoli, Sfogliatella, cheesecake from the Bronx...
Heaven on earth. Good food, good wine, lots of laughs and family around the table.

Wishing all of my Bonsai friends peace, joy, health and happiness the Christmas and throughout the New Year.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let's hear em!

Use Google and find them for yourself!
Do we have to Do everything for you....
Even if we do post em.......you're not gonna read em anyway!

Lol. LOG.

Merry Xmas!

This year.....no her mom's....no my aunt's......no driving.....no BS....

Chillin....smokin.....chillin.....cookies.....chillin........smokin......chillin.......cookies.......smokin......chillin........cookies.......cookies......cookies......chillin.......smokin.

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No power this year. We do have a generator.
Everyone here for Christmas eve. 22 people. And today open gifts then to the mother in laws for showers. Then dinner there too.
Merry Christmas!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
No power this year. We do have a generator.
Everyone here for Christmas eve. 22 people. And today open gifts then to the mother in laws for showers. Then dinner there too.
Merry Christmas!
Lol, that's a cool mother in law to let you shower up in her bathroom...be considerate, Mike, and remove all the hair from the drain once you're doneo_O. Merry Christmas and here's to your power being restored shortly!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We got this X-mas tradition....that kind of goes on till Easter....

You know...the family that didn't make it..stuff keeps trickling in...til one day in May or so...that last gift comes out of the blue, from so and so in la la land!

So no, I'm not late! It's a tradition!

And then there's that Bonsai Tradition....
The buy a Xmas tree and kill it ordeal!

For $5.....there's no way in Hell I'm not gonna buy the best one I can find.
20151226_173623.jpg
Yes....this is what it is...
But here is why I picked this one.
It doesn't have a lot of long growth, the type where one offending branch taken off will kill the plant.
Rather, it has a fairly good amount of even growth....not too many whorish whorls, I think because of how it divided rather early(below the soil) and into 3 decent trunks.

So I drew a sketch for the Sorceress...and @Anthony ....before and after.20160102_115153~2.jpg

20160102_115541.jpg
I want to get it down to under about a foot eventually...cut down to the bare parts on the tops of the big ones....and taking the small one down to match....or ditching it...

Right now they move the sameish and I don't like it....kind of counting on some spring back to make these a little more natural...

I killed 2 last year. And a few Junipers.
All the big box plants I bought this year are way healthier. So I think this one may live!

Backside.20160102_115719.jpg

Oh... Yes that's a rock wedging them apart.
Pretty sure they're connected at the base...
I'm leaving that for later....like a box of chocolates. Or a grab bag. I hope it don't suck...but then again.....

It was $5!

And....I put this here cuz I figured I might get more advice and ideas if it's under someone else's thread! Especially LOG's!

Thanks....Merry Christmas!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Weird!

I got an Alert that Said.....

"Starfox liked your post even tho he can't believe you talked shit about his ficus while you go out and buy this Bullshit!"

Lol.

I can't help myself! But if I can help you!.......

Thanks!

Sorce

Top Bottom