Christmas Traditions

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
For many years my mom and I would have a marathon Christmas shopping day and we always ate lunch at Red Lobster (it was right next to the mall). We always had the gigantic feast meal, because why not, it was only once a year. After she passed, we always took the kids there sometime before Christmas. The last 10 years or so, my son and I have continued the Christmas time lunch tradition. Last year COVID prevented it. This year, even though I was off most of the week, I didn't mention it, thinking he just went because he knew it reminded me of his Grandma. Today he texted me saying he took the day off and could we go do our Red Lobster lunch. I had a full day of cooking and cleaning planned, but of course we are going to carry on the tradition I didn't think he cared about. Best present ever. Please share your families cherished Christmas traditions.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Anyone else do anything special ?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
We'll be having a Christmas barbecue in the freezing cold.
To honor my mom, to celebrate her life - and her wacky ideas. Her birthday is our traditional third Christmas day. This is our second Christmas without her, and it'll never be the same without her.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
nope

Used to be, growing up, we had healthy sized stockings filled with apples, oranges candy canes
and some good candy of different types. Sometimes a small present like socks/underwear or better, all topped off
with our Christmas card. Christmas morning that was the 1st thing we could go for before our hard
laboring parents got out of bed on the one day of the year they could sleep in.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My dad employeed some cute Santa helpers to take pictures, names/addresses, money and so on, a Santa,
and partnered with the local Sears store since he already owned the Sears photography end of things.
Dad took the film from the cameras, and picture orders, and he developed, and dried long rolls of
pictures on photographic paper rolls. It was a family business. Even at 10 yrs old I was cutting the pictures
from the rolls, and helping at the table to moisten and stick the address labels on the envelopes, and dad weighed
them out and put the proper postage on them. Many trips to the PO to mail them out. It was a very labor
intensive commitment. Oh and we had to stock and cut cardboard to stuff in each envelop to give some rigidity for mailing.
We had to have the Santa suits and beards dry cleaned as well.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wife’s family opens one small present the day before. That’s the only tradition really

I used to watch A Christmas Story all day on TBS, but haven’t had proper cable in over 6yrs, so it depends if I’m able to get the DVD in the player to watch it

Did watch Christmas Vacation, so that was fine. Maybe we can plan better next year

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The only Christmas decorations that have survived the long-empty nest are red electric candelabras for all the windows. I put them out the day after Thanksgiving, use them until the end of January. I turn them on when the sun is going down, turn them off at bedtime. The light from them inside the house is warm and lovely. I don't often get to see them from the outside, but it pleases me when I do.
My husband and I are busy with Toys for Tots all of December. It's so much Christmas, very very Christmas, and we enjoy it.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Each year my dad and I make our own batches of glögg to taste against each other. I've been making subtle adjustments annually.

This year was my best batch. Added cranberries and cherry wine to sweeten it. As always, the main hard liquor is aquavit.

20211223_193551.jpg

Top Bottom