Chrysanthemum Questions - Zone 10b

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Here in 10b, Southern California, it has been difficult to find chrysanthemums. Typically available are the large big color cache pots of late winter early spring here - not the bonsai types. I found a diamond in the rough from a local podunk nursery. They had six packs of the classic white petals yellow centers. They did not have the Latin name on the plant tag. I am new to growing them.

Questions:
Here in 10b, would they be sold as a bedding plant for outside yard gardens. Would the timing of their sale be correct to bloom mid summer here? They were about a silver dollar wide and an inch or more high.
How do I tell if they are the right kind? They look it, but I don't know.
Are these the type I could make my own Pyrethrum pesticide spray from? The “um” in pyrethrum comes from chrysanthemum btw.

Thanks

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I will have several different cultivars of the dwarf mums available early summer. I also have Nippon daisy's available as well.

Mums change from growing mode to flowering mode once the available daylight begins to decrease. That is the trigger to begin growing the flower buds. If you have mums flowering now they were tricked into flowering by controlling the available daylight they receive.

I doubt they are dwarfs, but you never know. And for mums to be flowering now doesn't seem right. It would have taken a lot of effort to provide enough light over last fall and winter to keep them in growing mode to then restrict light to get them to flower now.

Are you sure you have mums?

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I’m thinking on making a purchase. Diamond in the rough. They are in 6 packs to be sold as bedding plants for southern ca. Right now only about 2”x2” with no flowers. Does that appear correct….establish in the yard for the remainder of spring and into early summer then set flowers for summer. Is that the proper schedule for the correct variety of mum for bonsai use?

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Here you go….Plant ID app says Mauranthemum paludosum. Syn is leucanthemum.

BCC549EB-E5ED-48F2-9A50-D641F91E85E7.jpeg8236DA9D-D0E8-41C0-AB7D-662E0EFC282D.jpegD1DC2CB5-A612-4AA9-86A5-B8E445933EEC.jpegCC228432-3FE2-4F83-9719-A033A7E46D4F.jpeg

Last edited:

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Ok, looks like the grower is calling them chrysanthemum paludosum. May I ask what the Latin name of yours?
2.69 a six pack was worth a shot

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ok, looks like the grower is calling them chrysanthemum paludosum. May I ask what the Latin name of yours?
2.69 a six pack was worth a shot
It would be impossible to provide the actual Latin name. These chrysanthemums have been hybridized over hundreds of years. To list the Latin name at this point would be... Chrysanthemum spp.

My guess would be they originated from Chrysanthemum indicum. The stock that I have originated from Japan.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Is that the proper schedule for the correct variety of mum for bonsai use?
Buy some from @Pitoon . I have 4 from him and a couple of the Nippon Daisies as well. They all grew like crazy and bloomed profusely.

kekoa

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I’m thinking on making a purchase. Diamond in the rough. They are in 6 packs to be sold as bedding plants for southern ca. Right now only about 2”x2” with no flowers. Does that appear correct….establish in the yard for the remainder of spring and into early summer then set flowers for summer. Is that the proper schedule for the correct variety of mum for bonsai use?

those are nice flowers, but i don't think they will form a woody trunk. I looked those up using the names you gave and it appears that those are also known as creeping daisy - which makes me think that the growth habit will be tough for bonsai, but who knows! They're definitely not one of the common gnome type that you probably want. I just placed an order for nippon daisy from @Pitoon and also recommend that you just get one from them when they're available. I know i'm planning on it!

Top Bottom