Chrysanthemums as Bonsai, or Kusamono or Sanyasou

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Appreciate the link. Sadly they don't have the cultivar that Valavanis mentioned is the best for bonsai.

True, although it is unclear to me if there are other cultivars which may make good specimens. Bill writes, "The Nippon Daisy, Chrysanthemum nipponicum, is a woody perennial which is winter hardy in the Upstate New York area and develops great trunks, old bark and bright pure white, daisy-like flowers in autumn." The woody perennial seems to be the key component here.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
True, although it is unclear to me if there are other cultivars which may make good specimens. Bill writes, "The Nippon Daisy, Chrysanthemum nipponicum, is a woody perennial which is winter hardy in the Upstate New York area and develops great trunks, old bark and bright pure white, daisy-like flowers in autumn." The woody perennial seems to be the key component here.
He also talks of the work of other species. That they take far more work. And typically are one year trees. 🤷

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
I wonder if this is gonna work out the way I’m planning...
can only tell with trying right
View attachment 297924
Update on this one, been growing quit slowly, I put it on the rock a couple of weeks back after the role broke halfway through. Only few roots managed to make it all the way down.
still looking kinda ok I think.
7826AC82-A871-4154-89B0-9859682DF76A.jpeg4A5EC3FA-9266-48DE-847B-3106B20A7546.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
In early June I decided to begin experimenting with bonsai chrysanthemums, again, after a 40 year break. Fortunately, I was able to get six cuttings of three different cultivars from Kings Chrysanthemums on June 15th. That is generally too LATE to start training bonsai chrysanthemum which are started in October/November of the previous season. My cuttings for next year are now rooting. So, I started to train a few of each cultivar, knowing they would not be as good as those started in the previous autumn.

Here are a few informal photos. A complete article will be forthcoming, still waiting for a few flowers to completely open before formal photos. Enjoy!

Not bad development for ONLY 4 months!!

Just think what can be done if started correctly.... wait until next October/November.

HATSUNE CUTTINGS.jpegHATSUNE .JPGMUMS WATERING TABLE.JPGCULTIVARS.JPG

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In early June I decided to begin experimenting with bonsai chrysanthemums, again, after a 40 year break. Fortunately, I was able to get six cuttings of three different cultivars from Kings Chrysanthemums on June 15th. That is generally too LATE to start training bonsai chrysanthemum which are started in October/November of the previous season. My cuttings for next year are now rooting. So, I started to train a few of each cultivar, knowing they would not be as good as those started in the previous autumn.

Here are a few informal photos. A complete article will be forthcoming, still waiting for a few flowers to completely open before formal photos. Enjoy!

Not bad development for ONLY 4 months!!

Just think what can be done if started correctly.... wait until next October/November.

View attachment 338169View attachment 338170View attachment 338171View attachment 338172
Nice! I see a Nippon there in the right in the group pic. How old is the Hatsune that's on the stand?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's impressive! I'm going to repot mine and bring them in under lights. Hopefully that will revert them back to growing mode verse flowering mode.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@William N. Valavanis as for the ones you grew this year, do you expect to develop them further or is it more likely they will die back a lot during winter?

most of mine are still a week or more away from flowering, buds take their time to open.
this one is grown as accent plant,
View attachment 338289
Do you keep yours outside or inside? The leaves look perfect.

Mine have been outside since I got them. I'm going to order some pots to repot and bring them in under some light.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Do you keep yours outside or inside? The leaves look perfect.

Mine have been outside since I got them. I'm going to order some pots to repot and bring them in under some light.
They are always outside. I have to spray for bugs though. Chrysanthemums are aphids best friend.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
All the chrysanthemums have been grown outdoors in the full sun. They were brought into a greenhouse a few days ago when the temperature reached 28F. No bugs at all this past summer.
I hope to try to keep them over the winter and continue their growth next year. But, I expect the branches to die and I'll regrow new branches, hopefully improving the design while keeping the old trunk.

Reaction score
I don’t suppose anyone knows where I can purchase any of these Japanese cultivars in Europe or particularly the U.K. After reading Bill’s blog I’ve been bitten by the bug but the best I’ve achieved so far is some Chrysanthemum Nipponicum seed. I have four seedlings from my efforts but would love to get hold of others. Any ideas?

Top Bottom