Chuhin Broom Elm

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I like the scale of the trunk to canopy and markyscott has the option to lengthen if he allows to extend.

Gonna be awesome in a proper pot.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
great progression thread.
inspireing i must say.
i just started Similar project with a ulmus (minor) trunk i specialy grown for trying this myself.
thankyou for showing a way to do this markyscott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Scott, what systemic do you use?
As the buds swell, I use Infuse, a granular fungicide. I’ve used it for many years, especially on pines for needle cast and maples for anthracnose. I repeat it a few times during the growing season. This year, I’m adding Subdue Max and Immunox (for Cedar Apple Rust) to my regimen, but this will be my first season using those.58205052-AF07-4998-ABCA-E49B7EBFE53B.jpeg

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@markyscott with the infuse, is there any ratio you follow when applying? I've just started using it this year and was kind of applying mine as if it were salt and pepper on an egg. Just a light dusting - curious on your process.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@markyscott with the infuse, is there any ratio you follow when applying? I've just started using it this year and was kind of applying mine as if it were salt and pepper on an egg. Just a light dusting - curious on your process.
I use about a teaspoon on shohin and a tablespoon on bigger trees.

S

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use about a teaspoon on shohin and a tablespoon on bigger trees.

S
Your approach and trees obviously speak for themselves; however, have you ever feared killing soil biome or beneficials? I’m guessing you have and it’s not worth the risk??

I was using infuse and Bayer 3 in 1, have not applied in two years without repercussion, tho I suppose could be opening the door for devastation. This could be coincidence, but I also did not apply any form of pesticide in 22’ because not required for fist time.

Thanks for your thoughts.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Your approach and trees obviously speak for themselves; however, have you ever feared killing soil biome or beneficials? I’m guessing you have and it’s not worth the risk??

I was using infuse and Bayer 3 in 1, have not applied in two years without repercussion, tho I suppose could be opening the door for devastation. This could be coincidence, but I also did not apply any form of pesticide in 22’ because not required for fist time.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I think it’s important to not overdose, but I’ve seen good evidence of a healthy soil biome using this product under my growing conditions.

S

NateDyk47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for all the work you put into documenting your trees. I learn so much reading your threads!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Is this your planned height for this tree. The thickness of the trunk relative to the overall height of the tree feels unbalanced to me. I feel that it needs to be taller. Just my gut feeling of course.
I plan for the final height to be taller.

- S

szelelaci

Mame
Reaction score
@markyscott thank you for this amazing thread, I am learning a lot from it!
The tree is coming along very nicely!

You inspired me and I started a similar project with a siberian elm. I cut it back a week ago and waiting for the buds on the cut side.. 🤞

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LOVE how the tree starts to clearly age during the work!
How thick is the main trunk, to get an idea of scale?

Top Bottom