Chuhin Broom Elm

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like your second as-potted front B (above) better than the front B listed as such listed in post 191. Are you growing the root grafts as cuttings? The pot seems appropriate for the tree but maybe a little large for a show pot. (I doubt you're planning on showing with the root grafts like they are, and the added volume might accommodate those root grafts a little better than a show pot.)

What's with the twists of wire around the main branches/subtrunks?
Hi bwaynef. The grafts are 2 year Chinese elm seedlings I bought from Matt Ouwinga. It needs a few years more development before it’s ready to show. I think the Yamaki is a good shape for a show pot, but, for show, I’d want it to be a bit shallower.

the bits of wire are just holding the seedlings in place temporarily - I didn’t want them moving when I repotted. I’ll leave them on until their established.

- S

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Hi bwaynef. The grafts are 2 year Chinese elm seedlings I bought from Matt Ouwinga. It needs a few years more development before it’s ready to show. I think the Yamaki is a good shape for a show pot, but, for show, I’d want it to be a bit shallower.

the bits of wire are just holding the seedlings in place temporarily - I didn’t want them moving when I repotted. I’ll leave them on until their established.

- S
Have you done a thread grafting roots tutorial for us yet? Or someone else? It looks similar to regular thread grafting. The part I want more info on is the approach and running them under the stump. Looks like you came in from the side and out underneath then popped up on the opposite side. Will the crossing seedlings sprout roots under the trunk too? Seems like dual utility if it will!

Last edited:

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Everything Scott posts is a tutorial, thank you!
Right! Him and Mach5 are the current people for photo tutorials because of how well they document. There are others but those two currently do the most and best. You go into the resources and scroll and there tons of others. Just my recent faves. He’ll smoke always gave great advice even if he had a knack for aggravating people!

edit: this is only photo tutorials I’ve seen recently! Don’t think I’m forgetting leather, Leo, Adair, and others. You’re all the MVPs of the team to us newbies that don’t have 10+ years in! You guys give me so many good tips! There are too many people to thank you be fair. Just a selection of people I’ve seen in the last couple days are mentioned.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Have you done a thread grafting roots tutorial for us yet? Or someone else? It looks similar to regular thread grafting. The part I want more info on is the approach and running them under the stump. Looks like you came in from the side and out underneath then popped up on the opposite side. Will the crossing seedlings sprout roots under the trunk too? Seems like dual utility if it will!
Yes. Here you go!

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Yes. Here you go!

This is exactly what I’m talking about. You make tutorials on how you do everything! And then other people even pitch in their tips on the process! I’m hoping I can be this useful in 10-20 years!

LCD35

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Growing fine - a bit slower than in past years. I might put it back in a training pot this season.

- S
I just got a thick shohin size trunk Chinese elm from Wigert's today. I've been watching this thread for awhile and it inspired me to try some new material and techniques. I feel well prepared based on the aspects you discussed. You noted the propensity for buds to appear radially around the cut and that's just what you can see happened when this trunk was chopped. Makes me wish winter was here and ending anyway so I can get started repotting, so I'll just be patient instead.

Of course there's lots of factors, but what do you think led to the slow down?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I just got a thick shohin size trunk Chinese elm from Wigert's today. I've been watching this thread for awhile and it inspired me to try some new material and techniques. I feel well prepared based on the aspects you discussed. You noted the propensity for buds to appear radially around the cut and that's just what you can see happened when this trunk was chopped. Makes me wish winter was here and ending anyway so I can get started repotting, so I'll just be patient instead.

Of course there's lots of factors, but what do you think led to the slow down?
The only thing I can think of is the smaller pot it’s in now.

- S

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I had a couple newbie questions that you may be able to help with based on this

1) When you wired, it cut pretty deep - are you anticipating those to heal or was it allowed to cut that deep because the branch ends were being cut off? I'm trying to gauge how deep I want to let wire bite on my own trees

2) I see you're cutting back and growing out again. One tactic that seems to be encouraged lately is to let the structure grow out, and then cut back to thinner ramification to use as a new leader for the branch and build taper while still controlling overall shape of the tree. Do you have opinions on this methodology? Prefer not to use, or feel it's not as good for development?

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Beautiful transformation. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Am getting a Zelkova elm in a few days and would like to make it into a broomstick but find it daunting. Have you ever seen a book or considered putting one together using your photos and Adair's Japanese photos? A book of any type would be helpful to anyone but especially to a beginner.

I've spent a lot of time in Houston and our weather is very similar. If you add the month you did things, lots of people could use it as a rule of thumb.

I'd buy a book with this kind of information. Thanks again for sharing it here.

Reaction score
I like it but at the moment I am feeling the trunk is a bit short considering its girth. Do you feel the same? Maybe this feeling will disappear when the branches are longer…

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like it but at the moment I am feeling the trunk is a bit short considering its girth. Do you feel the same? Maybe this feeling will disappear when the branches are longer…
That's an interesting thought. I know that conventional styling would have probably had me chop a bit longer due to the girth of the trunk, but natural broom shaped trees often have a trunk height that is much shorter than the length of the branches. The height / width ratio can be 1 (or even less than one). Here are a couple of examples. Perhaps you're right and it will seem more proportional as the branches grow longer.

Untitled.pngUntitled 3.png

Top Bottom