Chuhin JBP

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As far as can tell tree looks good. However liked earlier pot better. Newer one looks too big. Perhaps is because of pot rim adding perceived size seems to me overpowers tree with its mass;).

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Before styling, after styling, pictured with intended final pot
View attachment 92300 View attachment 92301 View attachment 92302
James, please change nothing except your POST COUNT! This forum could use a lot more of your kinds of contributions!

JFTR, I like the new pot better- such a masculine tree deserved something a little heavier and "more angular"... Great tree man!

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New pot pictured may appear a bit larger than it really is, as it is in front of tree in existing pot (has not yet been transplanted). Size is roughly the same, might appear a bit deep as well, because of the feet.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice stance....

That's a real proud little tree!

Sorce

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
James - I really like this tree! I'll be bookmarking this thread to follow its progress so keep us updated.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This one has some serious junk in the trunk! I'd love to see the dimensions, as well as where you got it. I'm assuming you didn't grow this one out in SD:).

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tree roughly 12" tall, trunk 6" at soil, pot 12" wide. Bought tree from Boon, Bay Area. 20-25 yrs old, field grown in Northern California. Looked pretty fugly until last 1-2 years, sacrifice shoots removed, candle cut and styled. The vision and development of this tree is largely due to Boon.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We won't mention Daisaku...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Tree roughly 12" tall, trunk 6" at soil, pot 12" wide. Bought tree from Boon, Bay Area. 20-25 yrs old, field grown in Northern California. Looked pretty fugly until last 1-2 years, sacrifice shoots removed, candle cut and styled. The vision and development of this tree is largely due to Boon.
A few years to grow into the latest styling and you'll have yourself a show stopper...very nice!

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes Adair, you are right.

Daisaku Nomoto from Japan was available and at Boon's last week. Boon thought he would do a nice job with this tree, and he was right. It would be appropriate to say Boon and Daisaku had much to do with how this tree has come along. Additionally, the new pot Daisaku brought with him, along with many others.

I have been involved in earlier wiring, pruning, trunk chops, repotting and of course, no end of needle pulling. Fortunately, tree is small, and it goes relatively quickly. Looking through old files, I was able to put together a bit of a time lapse progression, beginning in 11/2014 when I acquired the tree. Pictures taken at roughly 6 month intervals after seasonally appropriate work.

IMG_0654.JPGIMG_0654.JPGIMG_0659.JPG IMG_1253.JPG IMG_1874.JPG IMG_3029.JPG IMG_3055.JPG

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The tree is wonderful. And it's really come a long way. Diasaku pointed out to me the areas he hopes will progress over the next year, where he plans to make cuts (or he plans for you to cut).

Now to keep that pesky moss off the trunk!

Woodland Spirit

Chumono
Reaction score
I like the tree.
It is well shaped I think.

I think moss makes it look a lot older. You really think it does harm?

We don't have much moss so I don't know.

Reaction score
With a nice tapering trunk like this, i always wonder how it was grown. Are there larger trunk chops at the back? Do you have a picture of the back? I know, it's like asking a lady to lift up her ... I love the development pictures...

Woodland Spirit

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm no expert. Far from it.but I think it's mostly time and sacrifice branches.

Edit: consider this my attempt to provoke an explanation and gentle correction if needed.

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll take a picture of the back tomorrow.

Top Bottom